+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Wife: Name Change And Other Questions - Affect Application?

backcountry

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-12
AOR Received.
26-06-12
File Transfer...
28-06-12
Med's Done....
07-01-12
Passport Req..
20-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-12
LANDED..........
04-12-12
Hi,

My American wife and I were married in March, our application was sent on March 19th, received March 21st, so we hope to hear I've been approved to sponsor within the next week or two. She's currently here on a six month Visitor's Record.

1. She'd like to change her name to mine on her American passport, should she do so now or wait until she's received her PR.

2. If she does so now, could that in any way affect her application? We'd have to provide them with copies of the new passport page indicating the change then, wouldn't we, so would sending further documentation slow things down for us? In other words, are we better to just wait until all's said and done and she's got her PR, or does it matter?

3. If we did go ahead and apply for her new passport, would we remove the VR which is stapled inside and re-attach it into the newly issued one?

4. Concerning the Visitor's Record extension, we're thinking of applying for one as soon as I receive approval of sponsorship as we'll be about 3 months into the original granting of 6 months and will have to apply within 2 months anyway. Does the new VR extend from the original six month endpoint, or does it begin afresh from the moment it's granted? In other words, if we have two months remaining on the original and they grant twelve, does that mean we'd have fourteen, or does the twelve begin from that point on?

5. My wife is pregnant, due in December. Do we have to notify them of this if the child is to be born (hopefully) in Canada and will automatically be a Canadian citizen? I've received conflicting information about this, so am trying to clarify.

6. We'd hoped to travel to the States in October when my wife will be visibly pregnant. If we have the 12 month extended VR by then, could she be denied re-entry back into Canada, thereby causing her to have to birth our child in the U.S.? In other words, is it likely we'd have a hard time or do you think they'd be inclined to allow her back in?

Thanks for your help!

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
I kinda have the same problem, but im also dual citizen, german and swiss, live in germany but got only a swiss passport. I changed my german ID card already to a joined surename of mine and my husbands, but i dont know at all if i have to change the swiss passport too, in the application and passport i go with my maiden name and only the german ID card got the other >< my case is even a bit more complicated.....for now i just wait and do the swiss passport after all is done, it seems for me the right thing to do. I dont get back to germany and it was easier to do it now while im here before i have to do it by mail later on, the swiss passport i have to mail in either way, thats why i did the change of the german ID card in advance already, im hoping also it doesnt affect the application.
If she does change her passport though, im sure she will have to make new copies and send it in, cause the name is changed, they need to be informed and the name on the application has to match with the passport. As you noticed they say on many sections in the forms "as its shown in the passport" when you have to insert your name. So another reason im waiting too.

To point 5. yes, you need to let CIC know that your wife is pregnant for sure and if its born before she comes to canada (born in the US), you have to add the child to the application, if the baby gets born in canada, its automatically canadian citizen.

For the rest i dont have enough info to help you sorry :-(
But i wouldnt travel out of canada when as long the tourist visa is valid, if she really cant get back in, it would be sad.....thats just my thought, i wouldnt risk it >< But since you have to renew it anyway soon, then ask them if shes able to travel and come back.

Hope it was a bit of help at least

Ehra C.

Jun 9, 2012
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
I had already changed my name on everything and did the forms with my new name. But then accidentally signed everything the way I always to, with my maiden name. :eek: My husband called CIC to find out if this would be a problem but apparently it happens a lot and they said not to worry about it.

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
ok that is good to know ^^ then my changed german ID card shouldnt be a problem either, i did it before the application and they got the copy of it send with all papers. But ya since they said "show as in passport", i of course used my maiden name on the application as its written in my swiss passport.
Im a little of a special case there with a dual citizenship ><

Either way i think it doesnt matter if u do the change before, during the process or after, whatever is easier, you just have to inform CIC about all changes and provide the documents. Besides that CIC should be used to married people doing those name changes also during the process and i dont think its slowing down all or at least not much.