15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
Hi, all..

I'm hoping someone here that has been in Canada for a bit as a permanent resident can help me. My wife (Canadian) just sent me some information that states that I may still have to pay American taxes once I permanently reside in Canada. That I will have to submit tax documents to both countries, even if I maintain dual citizenship or renounce my American citizenship and become a Canadian citizen.

Is any of that true, and if so..what will I be taxed on in the US? If I live and work in Canada, and am paying taxes there, what in the world would they be making me pay?

Thank you in advance..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

spacedog30 said:
Hi, all..

I'm hoping someone here that has been in Canada for a bit as a permanent resident can help me. My wife (Canadian) just sent me some information that states that I may still have to pay American taxes once I permanently reside in Canada. That I will have to submit tax documents to both countries, even if I maintain dual citizenship or renounce my American citizenship and become a Canadian citizen.

Is any of that true, and if so..what will I be taxed on in the US? If I live and work in Canada, and am paying taxes there, what in the world would they be making me pay?

Thank you in advance..
1. US citizens are taxed on their world wide income, but you don't pay double taxation. You get a credit on your US taxes on the the taxes you paid in Canada. It is a pain, but you have to do it.

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. US citizens are taxed on their world wide income, but you don't pay double taxation. You get a credit on your US taxes on the the taxes you paid in Canada. It is a pain, but you have to do it.
Thank you..
I've been reading about it, and understand it a bit better now.

Yay America.
:/

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
spacedog30 said:
Hi, all..

Thank you in advance..
You would not be obligated to pay taxes henceforth if you renounce citizenship. Non-citizens cannot be forced to file FBARs.

Nonetheless, making any reasonable amount of money makes you taxable. This is why I've heavily considered renouncing US citizenship upon receiving Canadian citizenship.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Same here, once I receive a second citizenship (either Canadian through immigration, or German through recognition of ancestry) I am scheduling an appointment at the US Consulate to renounce my citizenship.

If you haven't already, google "FATCA" and read up on all the torment it is starting to put overseas Americans through. Bank accounts are being closed, mortgages are being called in, and forget about owning an RRSP or TFSA.

http://isaacbrocksociety.ca/ has a lot of info. I recommend checking it out.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
2_of_5 said:
Same here, once I receive a second citizenship (either Canadian through immigration, or German through recognition of ancestry) I am scheduling an appointment at the US Consulate to renounce my citizenship.

If you haven't already, google "FATCA" and read up on all the torment it is starting to put overseas Americans through. Bank accounts are being closed, mortgages are being called in, and forget about owning an RRSP or TFSA.

http://isaacbrocksociety.ca/ has a lot of info. I recommend checking it out.
This is why our bank account had to be in my (Canadian) wife's name, and we waited until I had my SIN and PR card so I would not even need to provide a SSN, then added myself later. It's really sad when we have to go to such lengths to avoid the US government from sticking it's nose (and putting it's hands) where it doesn't belong.