+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American married to a Canadian

C

Cherika

I'm American married to a Canadian. We got married in the US almost 6 years ago. I have decided I want to stay here in Canada to live and work. I've been living here for over a year now. Have not worked of course. He has been supporting me. What should we go about doing? I was told a PR card is what I needed. Is it ok for me to apply for that while in Canada? I'm a bit concerned since I've been here over a year w/o applying for anything.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you should be worried as you are illegal in Canada by now. As a US citizen, you can visit Canada for up to 6 months. You can not just live in Canada for a year, even if you are not working.

I think you should fix your status by going back to the US and when you come back to Canada, ask for a visitor record. That way, they will register the date you entered and you can apply to extend this visit status later if necessary. Then you can apply for your immigration, either outland or inland. See my post at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg344291#msg344291 for more explanations.

C

Cherika

I had no idea that you could only visit for 6 months. A friend of mine went through this kind of thing and she was told she had a year. I called the border and I will be going to get a visit pass. I wonder why they didn't give me a visit record/pass when I first came here.