+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American in Canada, granted visitor extension but want to go home to US to visit

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
March-28-2012...supposedly
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
Hi all.

I am American and my husband is Canadian. I have been visiting him in Canada since November. We applied for my permanent residence in Canada, and it is in process. I was just granted permission on a passport extension to stay in Canada until January 2013. BUT I want to go home and visit family in the states. My visitor record (my passport extension paper) states that it does not grant re-entry. I suppose it is just up to the immigration officer who I meet at the border, however I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of thing.

Is it likely that I will be allowed to re-enter Canada after my visit to the states? I would think that because they granted me the ability to stay until January 2013, they would let me back in, but I am nervous.

Anyone have experience with this? Any help is appreciated!!!

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you apply inland (Vegreville processing centre), or outland (Mississauga processing centre)?

If you applied inland, and you are refused entry to Canada, your application is considered to be abandoned and you will have to start over.

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
YorkFactory said:
Did you apply inland (Vegreville processing centre), or outland (Mississauga processing centre)?

If you applied inland, and you are refused entry to Canada, your application is considered to be abandoned and you will have to start over.
i applied outland.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I applied outland, as well. I'm american, hubbie is canadian. anyway, i have a visitor record and i have come and gone countless times and have not experienced any problems. Not sure if I'm just lucky but that's been my experience. Hope this helps!

avocadosandcheese said:
Hi all.

I am American and my husband is Canadian. I have been visiting him in Canada since November. We applied for my permanent residence in Canada, and it is in process. I was just granted permission on a passport extension to stay in Canada until January 2013. BUT I want to go home and visit family in the states. My visitor record (my passport extension paper) states that it does not grant re-entry. I suppose it is just up to the immigration officer who I meet at the border, however I am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of thing.

Is it likely that I will be allowed to re-enter Canada after my visit to the states? I would think that because they granted me the ability to stay until January 2013, they would let me back in, but I am nervous.

Anyone have experience with this? Any help is appreciated!!!

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
muffy1 said:
I applied outland, as well. I'm american, hubbie is canadian. anyway, i have a visitor record and i have come and gone countless times and have not experienced any problems. Not sure if I'm just lucky but that's been my experience. Hope this helps!
hi muffy1! thanks for your reply. did you just bring your visitor record with you (you got an extension past 6 months?) and there weren't any issues with you coming back in?? Did you just explain your situation to them?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Yes, I have one that at time of issuance was good for one year. It will expire in a few months and they said all I would have to do would be to bring proof that I have filed the pr application and still in process and they would extend it.

The visitor record is stapled to the inside of my passport. Sometimes, they don't even ask me anything. Other times, they just ask where I'm going, purpose of visit, etc, basic questions. I haven't had any problems at all whatsoever. (Knock on wood). I've been told by others before to bring along tax documents, or proof showing you have ties to your country of citizenship, things like that, but have never had to present them. I do bring a long copy of our app and all docs we have received just in case. That's just my experience so far, though.

To me, I think as long as you are telling the truth, and your reasons for coming and going are legit then you shouldn't have any problem.

avocadosandcheese said:
hi muffy1! thanks for your reply. did you just bring your visitor record with you (you got an extension past 6 months?) and there weren't any issues with you coming back in?? Did you just explain your situation to them?

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
muffy1 said:
Yes, I have one that at time of issuance was good for one year. It will expire in a few months and they said all I would have to do would be to bring proof that I have filed the pr application and still in process and they would extend it.

The visitor record is stapled to the inside of my passport. Sometimes, they don't even ask me anything. Other times, they just ask where I'm going, purpose of visit, etc, basic questions. I haven't had any problems at all whatsoever. (Knock on wood). I've been told by others before to bring along tax documents, or proof showing you have ties to your country of citizenship, things like that, but have never had to present them. I do bring a long copy of our app and all docs we have received just in case. That's just my experience so far, though.

To me, I think as long as you are telling the truth, and your reasons for coming and going are legit then you shouldn't have any problem.
thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Glad to be of some help! I'm no expert by any means and everyone's been so helpful to me so if even my experiences can help someone I'm glad!

Again, that's just my experience. But, in all honesty, if you're not doing anything illegal and you have proof of what you say, it should really be no problem.

I've been doing this back and forth thing since hubby and I met several years back. At minimum I've gone back and forth twice a month, minimum, lately once a month.

All the best :)

avocadosandcheese said:
thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
muffy1 said:
Glad to be of some help! I'm no expert by any means and everyone's been so helpful to me so if even my experiences can help someone I'm glad!

Again, that's just my experience. But, in all honesty, if you're not doing anything illegal and you have proof of what you say, it should really be no problem.

I've been doing this back and forth thing since hubby and I met several years back. At minimum I've gone back and forth twice a month, minimum, lately once a month.

All the best :)
sounds pretty similar to me, except now i have been here since november. are you close to getting your PR approved??