Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Hello, my wife has been a PR in Canada for 3 months on Friday. We want to know how to change her lastname to my lastname.

Her American passport still has her maiden name on it. Does she need to change to my lastname on her passport?

Also, if she updates her lastname to my lastname on her Canadian identification, is her American passport still valid?

Thank you!

Last edited:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Anyone able to help?

Thank you !

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Yes, she should get a new passport.
Thank you. So we would need to do the name change in Canada and update all of her Canadian identification.

So we would also need to update her lastname on the American passport? If so, can this be done from within Canada?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you. So we would need to do the name change in Canada and update all of her Canadian identification.

So we would also need to update her lastname on the American passport? If so, can this be done from within Canada?
Once the name change is official, she should be able to get a new US passport in Canada. She could probably make an appointment at a consulate.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Once the name change is official, she should be able to get a new US passport in Canada. She could probably make an appointment at a consulate.
Thank you. When getting a new passport with my lastname, would she need to surrender her old passport? Or would she be able to keep it until she got her new passport?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you. When getting a new passport with my lastname, would she need to surrender her old passport? Or would she be able to keep it until she got her new passport?
Pretty sure you have to give them your old passport and they will cancel it and send it back to you. If timing is an issue, you can pay more for expedited processing.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello, my wife has been a PR in Canada for 3 months on Friday. We want to know how to change her lastname to my lastname.
Her American passport still has her maiden name on it. Does she need to change to my lastname on her passport?
Also, if she updates her lastname to my lastname on her Canadian identification, is her American passport still valid?

Thank you!
What's wrong with her US passport? The passport is for travel and is valid until expire. Probably her name in PR card is the same as in US passport. As far as Canadian docs she could assume her husband's name on DL and SIN based on marriage certificate. After that all Canadians Credit cards, Insurance, Bank accounts, Tax returns, whole life would have your last name based on her changed DL, SIN. That's what we will do.
When time comes to apply for Canadian citizenship she could choose to have your last_name as well based on marriage certificate.

Why bother with US passport change? Maybe there are other reasons?

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
What's wrong with her US passport? The passport is for travel and is valid until expire. Probably her name in PR card is the same as in US passport. As far as Canadian docs she could assume her husband's name on DL and SIN based on marriage certificate. After that all Canadians Credit cards, Insurance, Bank accounts, Tax returns, whole life would have your last name based on her changed DL, SIN. That's what we will do.
When time comes to apply for Canadian citizenship she could choose to have your last_name as well based on marriage certificate.

Why bother with US passport change? Maybe there are other reasons?
Nothing wrong with her US passport. I was just wondering if she has all of her Canadian ID with my lastname on it, will her passport with her maiden name on it still be valid?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Nothing wrong with her US passport. I was just wondering if she has all of her Canadian ID with my lastname on it, will her passport with her maiden name on it still be valid?
Sure, it's valid. What I am saying is the Passport and PR card are just for travel, but other Canadian internal docs could be changed based on marriage certificate.

Reactions: jeff198901