+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Canadian Wedding on a Student Visa

joheth

Aug 24, 2009
I am an American who came to Canada on a Student Visa. I am able to stay in Canada on the Student Visa until September of 2010. During my stay in Canada i met the love of my life and we were married in August 2009. I am currently working on my Permanent Resident papers and plan to submit them very shortly. We will be doing a lot of traveling back to the States for holidays and such. Are there any precautions we should be concerned about with getting married on a Student Visa? We have just heard that the Canadian government looks down on people getting married on a Student Visa and then applying for PR. Just looking for some insight if at all possible.

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I don't believe they look down upon it, because when you applied for your student visa thats what you were doing, being a student. You didn't go with other intentions besides that. You fell in love, it happens. It would be wrong of them to hold that against you. For the border crossings, I have crossed the US/Canada border at Buffalo many times and have not had any problems with being completely honest. But that is my own personal situation.