+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I right, or is it out of frustration on my part?

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been a PR since December. I started looking for work in January and have yet to been called for an interview...even for a job at McDonalds.

I have asked several why my resume was rejected, and most tell me that they are not allowed to go into specifics and that I should just live with thier decision. A few, however, told me that me being a PR made them skittish and that becuase it would be "difficult" to get any information out of me references, it would be best not to get into "the mess that comes with international job seekers"

Is this prevelent with most Canadian employers? Or is it an anomily? Can I actually be rejected for an interview based on the fact I am a PR even though i am legal here in canada and require no more paperwork?

Hope you all can help.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Eric Parker said:
I have been a PR since December. I started looking for work in January and have yet to been called for an interview...even for a job at McDonalds.

I have asked several why my resume was rejected, and most tell me that they are not allowed to go into specifics and that I should just live with thier decision. A few, however, told me that me being a PR made them skittish and that becuase it would be "difficult" to get any information out of me references, it would be best not to get into "the mess that comes with international job seekers"

Is this prevelent with most Canadian employers? Or is it an anomily? Can I actually be rejected for an interview based on the fact I am a PR even though i am legal here in canada and require no more paperwork?

Hope you all can help.

Thanks!
1. Review your CV, Canadianize it.
2. Why would announce to the world that you are a PR? If the employer asks if you can legally work, just show them either your PR card or SIN.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Review your CV, Canadianize it.

I have canadianized everything in my life since moving. I have had 3 experts in resumes look over my resume/CV and they are literally scratching their heads over the fact that I have not got one interview under my belt. Could it be my age?? I am almost 50 with over 30 years experience in the workfield.

2. Why would announce to the world that you are a PR? If the employer asks if you can legally work, just show them either your PR card or SIN.

But...potential employers see that I am from the States and hesitate. Which is why I was advised to be up front and honest in telling a potential employer that everything is fine and they do not have to worry about me in that reguard. In addition, the small community I live in now has not had many PR's in thier midst and they are not sure what to do, so they just chuck it to avoid it...at least that what the expert advice is telling me.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
What's your field of work?
Perhaps that's the issue.
Maybe a stint at volunteering in that area could help.
My two cents.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Make sure you switch Microsoft word to Canadian English. Make sure you are spelling words with the extra u, etc. I would say that it is illegal to discriminate against someone who has PR status in hiring decisions. If an employer admitted that to you, they may be opening themselves up to get sued. At the very least, that might make for a good newspaper story in your small community.

I have been told by employment professionals that Americans with a U.S. education often face discrimination in Canada. Canadian employers can be very provincial, even discriminating against applicants from other parts of Canada or degrees from universities they are not familiar with.