+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I proceeding correctly? (Inland + dependent)

Jan 5, 2024
Texas
Hi everyone.
I am married to a Canadian citizen, I am a citizen of the US. We were married in Canada, specifically in Newfoundland, where my husband lives.

I plan on moving in with my husband to Newfoundland at the end of the current school year (end of May), then going through the process of the Inland spousal sponsorship. He's flying down to my state to do the drive up with me (a 5-day drive, oof! But so worth it) Once I receive the AOR I intend to apply for an open work permit (though I will be maintaining my US job via a PEO firm) so that I can apply for a student visa for my kid, who will be 10 by that point. I have read that NL doesn't necessarily require a student visa if I have the open work permit, but it might go smoother if I have one for her. My husband intends to adopt her once she qualifies for that (apparently we need to live in the same household for 6 months?).

So that being said, I should have the AOR by the time the school year starts (early September), right? How do I fill out the B4 manifest for my household goods? (am I a settler?)
I am mildly concerned about the sponsorship process calling to question my relationship with my husband, since we did initially meet online. However, I've taken multiple vacations up to CA to spend time with him over the last two years (tried the two years prior to that, but COVID shutdowns made that impossible) and have otherwise known him for well over a decade.

Another question. As a US-citizen with a valid passport, I'm exempt from needing a visitor visa. I don't know how to navigate getting a Temporary Resident Visa if that's even a valid route given my above circumstances. Do I just apply for an extension? A visitor record? The amount of options is a bit mind-boggling but the important key here is that I want my kid to be eligible for school.

This is my second post, editing my first one got it removed pending approval for some reason.