+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I first generation be descent, or would my child be?

Jreades

Dec 17, 2016
Hi -- I was born in the mid-1970s outside of Canada to British parents. We were naturalised as a family in about 1980, while I (obviously) was still a minor. I now live in the U.K. and married an American (so no help there ;) ).

Does the fact that I was a minor when naturalised mean that I am already, in effect, the 1st generation by descent and cannot pass on Canadian citizenship because it wasn't me applying on my own behalf for? Or, because I was myself naturalised, can my child (due early next year) have Canadian citizenship?

I assume that I can try to register the birth with the Canadian consulate in London and see what happens, but it would be nice to have a good sense of whether or not this might be accepted beforehand...

Thanks!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jreades said:
Hi -- I was born in the mid-1970s outside of Canada to British parents. We were naturalised as a family in about 1980, while I (obviously) was still a minor. I now live in the U.K. and married an American (so no help there ;) ).

Does the fact that I was a minor when naturalised mean that I am already, in effect, the 1st generation by descent and cannot pass on Canadian citizenship because it wasn't me applying on my own behalf for? Or, because I was myself naturalised, can my child (due early next year) have Canadian citizenship?

I assume that I can try to register the birth with the Canadian consulate in London and see what happens, but it would be nice to have a good sense of whether or not this might be accepted beforehand...

Thanks!
You are a naturalized citizen and your child can get Canadian citizenship you have to apply for the citizenship though. Registering with the Canadian consulate will not help.

Jreades

Dec 17, 2016
Re: Am I first generation by descent, or would my child be?

Thanks, that was simpler than I thought! Had read some other posts on this topic where the age of naturalisation seemed to matter.

Thanks again!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Am I first generation by descent, or would my child be?

Jreades said:
Thanks, that was simpler than I thought! Had read some other posts on this topic where the age of naturalisation seemed to matter.

Thanks again!
To be precise, you don't have to apply for citizenship for your child, but rather proof of citizenship.

The child will be British, Canadian, and American.