+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible under CEC? (Canadian experience of 2+ yrs but not in last 3 yrs)

qdil

Nov 23, 2011
I worked in Canada from Nov 2007 to Dec 2009 on a temporary worker status(intra-company transfer). I am a software developer by profession and it falls under the NOC list. My daughter was born a Canadian citizen by birth in Oct 2009. I left Canada in Dec 2009 due to my work contract expiring and had not applied for PR even though I was eligible.

Now I am back to Canada with a one year work permit from Sep 2011 to Sep 2012 and working in the same profession. I would like to apply for PR but I noticed a clause in CEC which states that "apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada". I am now applying after a gap of nearly 2 years.

<1> Would I still be having a strong case in CEC class since I already have over 2 years of "recent", if not "very recent experience" plus I am going to gain more Canadian experience with my new work permit ?
<2> Would it be worthwhile filing my application at Nova Scotia (for basic eligibility check) to see if my application goes through to Buffalo (for further processing) ? - In this case for the worst case scenario, if Nova Scotia rejects, I would get my PR fee refunded.
<3> If it goes past Nova Scotia, would there be a risk of it being rejected in Buffalo due to basic eligibility checks ? - In this case, if Buffalo rejects, I would lose my PR fees.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
qdil said:
qdil, you need to start by reading the information provided by CIC, your questions show that you are confusing CEC and Federal Skilled Worker application procedures - here's the info for CEC:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-how.asp

<1> Would I still be having a strong case in CEC class since I already have over 2 years of "recent", if not "very recent experience"

Alas, no. You will need 2 years of current work experience.

<2> Would it be worthwhile filing my application at Nova Scotia (for basic eligibility check) to see if my application goes through to Buffalo (for further processing) ? - In this case for the worst case scenario, if Nova Scotia rejects, I would get my PR fee refunded.

??? CEC applications go to Buffalo only. There is no refund. If you want to apply through the Federal Skilled Workers Program (applications do go to Nova Scotia), perhaps with an offer of permanent employment, you can do so, but eligibility for FSW has nothing to do with eligibility for CEC.

<3> If it goes past Nova Scotia, would there be a risk of it being rejected in Buffalo due to basic eligibility checks ? - In this case, if Buffalo rejects, I would lose my PR fees.

It only goes to Buffalo, and there is no option for a refund of application fees.

qdil

Nov 23, 2011
Hi jes_ON,

Thanks for enlightening me on many aspects of the PR process. Seems like I was all tangled with my info! ???

I just wish I had some options. Sigh!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
qdil said:
Hi jes_ON,

Thanks for enlightening me on many aspects of the PR process. Seems like I was all tangled with my info! ???

I just wish I had some options. Sigh!
Um, you DO have options. I pointed out 2 - work for 2 years and apply through CEC. If your employer is willing to offer you a permanent position, you may qualify through FSW Arranged Employment.

A third option is to look into the PNP program for your province - that would usually require your employer to apply as well.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

None of these are fast or easy, so learn as much as you can about each program and make an informed decision.