+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for OSAP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
thank you for replying, Ryerson arranged an online session on zoom, they told us Fall Sept-Dec session will be completely online and no on campus requirement for fall, so international student outside Canada and PR holders outside Canada can attend online and they dont need to come to Canada. so I will pay my first semester fees myself. They said second semester (Jan-Apr) will be in-person. We almost have 45-50 students in our course (Class) international plus domestic. its a fixed one year masters. If second semester will be in-person I will try to land between 15 Dec---11 Jan as these would be off days from Uni. One more thing, Winter semester can be online too depend on COVID-19 situation that time but I am not sure.

As far as fees is concerned, Ill pay first semester fees from my savings, then will apply for OSAP loan if approved, otherwise will get loan for 2nd, 3rd semester fees from my family or relatives. I just dont want to waste my year as I find very difficult to get professional jobs in Canada without Canadian education and experience.

One thing more, one of my friend told me that some banks also provide loan to students but we have to pay within few years like 2-3 years and not like OSAP (8-10 years)
Yes there are bank loans offered for students because OSAP doesn't always cover expenses plus your savings. You won't have much of a credit history in Canada so will likely run into similar problems.

Oxygen25

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hello People, I have recently become a PR, I tried to apply for OSAP loan with my permanent SIN and information letter from IRCC (in lieu of COPR and/or PR card). But OSAP is saying they cannot consider the letter.

A major issue right now is that no COPR for inland applications, while PR card will take months due to the pandemic. Any suggestions on a way forward? I have had some back and forth with IRCC, they keep re-sending the information letter which is not what OSAP needs.

Quite frustrating.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello People, I have recently become a PR, I tried to apply for OSAP loan with my permanent SIN and information letter from IRCC (in lieu of COPR and/or PR card). But OSAP is saying they cannot consider the letter.

A major issue right now is that no COPR for inland applications, while PR card will take months due to the pandemic. Any suggestions on a way forward? I have had some back and forth with IRCC, they keep re-sending the information letter which is not what OSAP needs.

Quite frustrating.
Many schools and OSAP want to see a valid PR card because COPR doesn’t mean that people have current status.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Quite frustrating.
Schools will want a valid PR card. Also do you meet Ontario’s residency requirements to receive OSAP in that you have lived in the province for 12 months.

Oxygen25

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Schools will want a valid PR card. Also do you meet Ontario’s residency requirements to receive OSAP in that you have lived in the province for 12 months.
Yes, I do meet residency requirements for OSAP. I have been on study permit in Ontario since August last year.

Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys,
Hope you are doing well, I landed in Saskatchewan last year in Sept 2019 as Permanent Resident and I stayed and signed lease agreement for one apartment for 3 months (Oct to Dec) and I left Canada on 31 December to meet my parents in Pakistan and stuck here due to COVID-19. Meanwhile I applied for Masters program (fall 2020) at Ryerson and got acceptance. I am planning to attend this course and applying for OSAP. My questions are mention below.

1. Am I eligible for OSAP if I apply online by staying here in Pakistan and then at the time of classes I will move to Ontario and start attending classes

2. Am I eligible for OSAP if I never lived in Ontario

3. Is it mandatory to be in Canada for applying OSAP

4. I did part time job for 2 months in Saskatchewan, should I have to submit tax returns while applying for OSAP

5. If my OSAP application gets approved and classes for Fall 2020 (Sept-Dec) will be online can I attend online classes by staying here in Pakistan, will this effect my OSAP application.

I would be really thankful if someone answer to my questions, as I only lived in Canada for 3 months and I dont have much knowledge about it.

Thank you in advance.
Hi, hope your are doing well. Would u guide me how to take Master's admission?