+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I allowed to immigrate to Canada?

azizavarian

Jul 30, 2017
I'm from Iran but I live in Kuwait. I have Asperger's syndrome/high functioning autism and obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm currently 17, this year is my senior year and after that I'm going to attend medical school in Kuwait to become a neurologist. The medical school is listed in the world directory of medical schools. Would my disorders be an immigration barrier? I have an IQ of 120.

reye27

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
I'm from Iran but I live in Kuwait. I have Asperger's syndrome/high functioning autism and obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm currently 17, this year is my senior year and after that I'm going to attend medical school in Kuwait to become a neurologist. The medical school is listed in the world directory of medical schools. Would my disorders be an immigration barrier? I have an IQ of 120.
hey,

According to CIC website, where they have mentioned the reasons of inadmissibility, your health profile does not fit into it.

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are high functioning, you should be able to immigrate to Canada. Note that you will need at least one year of full time paid work experience before you will qualify to immigrate. Also, your medical degree will not be recognized in Canada. In order to work in Canada as a doctor, you will have to undergo a process to have your medical degree recognized. This process takes thousands of dollars and several years to complete. During this time, you will not be able to work as a doctor.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Better to go to medical school in Canada if your goal is to migrate and practice. (I'm not sure of the possibility of acceptance for foreigners though.)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as your health needs don't change in 5+ years immigration seems possible. Things may be very different in your life and in the world so it is hard to predict. Canada wants to make sure new immigrants do not add extra demand on our heath care and social services so you will have to prove your medical costs are less than around $6500/year.

The bigger issue is becoming a doctor in Canada. It would best to apply to do a residency in Canada. If you want to immigrate after you become a neurologist it will be very challenging. I believe the relicensing takes around 2 years if things go well and most foreign doctors are limited to qualifying as GPs,OB/GYN, maybe a few others.You may not be able to continue being a neurologist. If you try to do a residency in Canada you compete for the spots that are leftover after the Canadian students are matched with their residency spots. In my experience foreign residents are left to match with smaller or rural sites and the specialty they want may not be available. The lucrative and popular residencies like dermatology, radiology, ophtamology, etc will definitely not be available, I would research foreign-trained doctors immigrating to Canada so you know what a struggle it will be. If you have a comfortable life in Kuwait you may decide to stay. Best of luck

Reactions: reye27

RedArrow

Aug 23, 2020
Did this affect your immigration.
I too have OCD.
I also have some self harm marks which is 10 years old.
Will this cause any issue.

RedArrow

Aug 23, 2020
Question POST ITA
Medical coming up.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Also have some self harm marks which happened to me in the year 2011.

For OCD I am on medication and it is controlled.

Will these two issues together cause any concern with the medical test.

TIA

VanechikSpace

Mar 3, 2023
Question POST ITA
Medical coming up.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Also have some self harm marks which happened to me in the year 2011.

For OCD I am on medication and it is controlled.

Will these two issues together cause any concern with the medical test.

TIA
Have you tried to immigrate yet ?