+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I able to quit my job while I am still waiting for my PR?

vane1234

Jan 4, 2019
Hello,

Let me explain better my situation..

I came as a visitor, then I applied for a student visa and I went to school for 2 years. While I was in school I was working in the same industry. When I finished my diploma I became full time and I got my post grad work permit. I applied for my Alberta Nominee and I just got it at the end of November and then I applied for my permanent residence just about 2 weeks ago..
Unfortunately I don't want to continue working in my same company, Does anyone know if I can just change my job? While I am still waiting for my PR. I have an open work permit (post grad work permit) but it expires on August, 2019.
What would you recommend me to do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Let me explain better my situation..

I came as a visitor, then I applied for a student visa and I went to school for 2 years. While I was in school I was working in the same industry. When I finished my diploma I became full time and I got my post grad work permit. I applied for my Alberta Nominee and I just got it at the end of November and then I applied for my permanent residence just about 2 weeks ago..
Unfortunately I don't want to continue working in my same company, Does anyone know if I can just change my job? While I am still waiting for my PR. I have an open work permit (post grad work permit) but it expires on August, 2019.
What would you recommend me to do?
Was your nomination based on your job?

Reactions: vane1234

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes it was.
In that case you really need to remain in that job until you have PR or find a new job with an employer who is willing to take over the nomination.

vane1234

Jan 4, 2019
In that case you really need to remain in that job until you have PR or find a new job with an employer who is willing to take over the nomination.
Hi!! Thank so much for helping me out last time. Now I have another concern, with the COVID-19 I got temporarily lay off, will this affect my PR application? Remembering that my nomination is based on my job.
Please advice!

Reactions: Jhegel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!! Thank so much for helping me out last time. Now I have another concern, with the COVID-19 I got temporarily lay off, will this affect my PR application? Remembering that my nomination is based on my job.
Please advice!
No one knows the answer to that question at this time.

Jhegel

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Please advice!
I have the same question for my friend who is undergoing the same situation! I called CIC and talked about it. They said it's not going to affect your PR status as they know what is going on and they can do an enquiry about it if they required!! So nothing to worry about it.
I am living in Manitoba and I too went for the same situation which u mentioned in ur above post regarding working with a different employer! As long as if u have an open work permit u are free to change your employer! But u should have informed CIC about your new employer and the reason why you changed your employer! It could be a better job, more salary, a job related to your qualifications etc. These all applicable only if u have an open work permit! I changed my employer and informed them! No issues!! Themselves they are mentioned in the email regarding that, if u change ur primary employer u should have to inform CIC ASAP!!
So good luck! Hope it works!

myroadtoPR

Apr 4, 2020
I have the same question for my friend who is undergoing the same situation! I called CIC and talked about it. They said it's not going to affect your PR status as they know what is going on and they can do an enquiry about it if they required!! So nothing to worry about it.
I am living in Manitoba and I too went for the same situation which u mentioned in ur above post regarding working with a different employer! As long as if u have an open work permit u are free to change your employer! But u should have informed CIC about your new employer and the reason why you changed your employer! It could be a better job, more salary, a job related to your qualifications etc. These all applicable only if u have an open work permit! I changed my employer and informed them! No issues!! Themselves they are mentioned in the email regarding that, if u change ur primary employer u should have to inform CIC ASAP!!
So good luck! Hope it works!
Hi!

May I ask which number you called during this pandemic? I read on the IRCC website that thier phone centers were all closed?
thank you very much!!

Reactions: Jhegel

Jhegel

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hi!

May I ask which number you called during this pandemic? I read on the IRCC website that thier phone centers were all closed?
thank you very much!!
It's was before the call centers closed! We were worried and she is still in her home country, stuck there due to this situation. We expected this gonna happen!
Did u see that I mentioned I called during the time they closed?? If they have any special number for me I will let u know.! Thanks