+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already obtained PR status, can I enter Canada without PR card?

dazco

May 10, 2014
Hi all, I got a question about entering Canada without the PR Card.

I obtained my PR status last month and still waiting for the PR Card to arrive. I am leaving for vacation in 5 days (May 16).
I have phoned CIC and they confirmed that the card won't come in on time.

When I return from my vacation, will they refuse my entry without the actual PR card? my port of entry will be Toronto airport. (from Barcelona to Toronto)

Additional info: I am holding a Hong Kong passport, which allows entry into Canada for 6 months.

If anyone can give me some advice that will be great...

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

The issue isn't being refused entry; you are a PR, even without the PR card, so you will have no issues at the Canadian border.

The issue is boarding the plane. With a visa-exempt HK passport, you can board the plane on the strength of your passport alone, as if you were visiting Canada. Don't tell the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you when you cannot produce a PR card. The airline might have an issue with you not having a ticket out of Canada, though it usually isn't a problem. You could cover your bases by purchasing a separate fully refundable ticket out of Canada.

dazco

May 10, 2014
thanks. that made me worry less. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to board the plane or enter Canada.

When I bought the tickets to Barcelona, it is a round trip package originated from Canada. So I should be good in terms of tickets not out of Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dazco said:
thanks. that made me worry less. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to board the plane or enter Canada.

When I bought the tickets to Barcelona, it is a round trip package originated from Canada. So I should be good in terms of tickets not out of Canada?
It doesn't matter where your flight originated.

Normally, for visa-exempt people going to Canada as a visitor, airlines don't care if they are travelling on a one-way ticket. However, if an airline wants to be strict, they can refuse to board a visitor that doesn't have proof that they will leave Canada. The airline does this to protect itself in case that person is refused entry into Canada, as the airline would then have to pay for the return flight of the refused person.

As a PR, you won't be refused entry but the airline won't know that because they are going to think you are just a visitor to Canada. It's possible that will ask you for a ticket out of Canada.

jessie_michael

Jun 18, 2014
Toronto
Hi there,
I wanted to share my experience with you, since I had the same issue last week and after reading comment after comment, I decided to just gather up some courage and go and see what happens!
I'm not from a Visa-exempt country; in fact, Canada is very strict on the citizens of my country. I had my Immigrant Visa on my passport which was issued to me in order for me to complete my PR status. It was scratched up and there was a thin line with an exacto knife on it! And when I went on my trip, I asked people at home to mail me my PR card when it arrives but it took longer than the time stated, so when it was time for me to return to Canada, all I had was my Confirmation of PR and that scratched Visa.
The airline examined the visa and gave me my boarding pass, and in the connecting city, I passed border control with suspicious looks, but she still let me pass after scanning the visa and noticing it is not fake. I passed 3 passport control with that visa and no one questioned anything.
At Pearson, I told the officer that my card didn't arrive, but I still have my visa which hasn't yet expired, and my COPR. She was very nice and sent me to the second screening for visitors. The second officer was also nice. She told me I was lucky the airline let me in, but at our border, they're pretty lenient. She also said next time it won't be like this and I need to remember it. I just said, OK, sure, fine, thanks.... ;D and I entered Canada! I guess I was lucky, but as long as you can board the airplane and can pass passport control, I don't think the border would give you that much of a hard time.
Also, I had some other documents ready in case they needed to see them - my partner's passport photocopy, my lease, my income tax papers, etc. to prove I live here.