+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Allowed to leave... twice

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
I entered the Canada border by car last week with a invite letter/job offer from a Canadian employer. I was misinformed by the company and I thought this was all I would need to bring. That said, the border officer informed me it wasn’t enough information and sent me on my way and said to come back when I had enough supporting evidence for what I planned to do.

Well, I made a mistake and tried a different border only a few days later thinking maybe it would be easier. They got annoyed that I didn’t go to the first border since it was closer to home for me. Nevertheless, they told me to get more supporting documents and return to the first border, not the second one I just tried.

I want to take this job and I think I now have enough documents to give to the border agent but I’m concerned they might be upset I tried a different border so soon after the first failed attempt and refuse me on those grounds alone.

What do you think?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
What you did was terribly misguided. Why would you go to another border post days later thinking it would be easier ? Easier for what ? You're a foreigner looking to start a job In a foreign country . The expectation is that you'll have all the correct paperwork, if not , you'll GO get the correct paperwork, you won't just attempt another crossing
What you've done is certainly in the system . Is the job you're applying for NAFTA ? LMIA exempt?
Or do you have a positive LMIA?
They'll refuse you if you don't qualify

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
What you did was terribly misguided. Why would you go to another border post days later thinking it would be easier ? Easier for what ? You're a foreigner looking to start a job In a foreign country .
What you've done is certainly in the system . Is the job you're applying for NAFTA ? LMIA exempt?
Or do you have a positive LMIA?
It is LMIA exempt. Regardless, legally speaking they should have allowed me in the first time, I just got tongue tied when they asked me questions that I didn’t actually know the answers to. So now I know what information they need and I can provide it but not sure about the 2nd border attempt being something that’ll upset them. Is there any way to calm it down if they do get upset about it? It was an honest error and I wasn’t trying to sneak through. I was still trying to get the same paperwork as the first attempt. I just wasn’t smart about it.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Legally they don’t have to let you in. Legally, they can send you back, or ban you. It’s unwise to attempt to circumvent CBSA directions and even more so to point out what they need to do....legally.
Gather your paperwork they requested and make sure you have everything you need. Be prepared for a possible dressing down.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is LMIA exempt. Regardless, legally speaking they should have allowed me in the first time, I just got tongue tied when they asked me questions that I didn’t actually know the answers to. So now I know what information they need and I can provide it but not sure about the 2nd border attempt being something that’ll upset them. Is there any way to calm it down if they do get upset about it? It was an honest error and I wasn’t trying to sneak through. I was still trying to get the same paperwork as the first attempt. I just wasn’t smart about it.
The problem the first two times is that you didn't have the right paperwork. The invite / job offer letter isn't sufficient for the work permit to be issued. If you think you now have the paperwork you need, I would return to the first border crossing you visited and try again. You shouldn't have a problem this time if you have the full paperwork.

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
The problem the first two times is that you didn't have the right paperwork. The invite / job offer letter isn't sufficient for the work permit to be issued. If you think you now have the paperwork you need, I would return to the first border crossing you visited and try again. You shouldn't have a problem this time if you have the full paperwork.
Thank you! :)

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
Legally they don’t have to let you in. Legally, they can send you back, or ban you. It’s unwise to attempt to circumvent CBSA directions and even more so to point out what they need to do....legally.
Gather your paperwork they requested and make sure you have everything you need. Be prepared for a possible dressing down.
Do you have experience with telling an officer how to do their job? I was planning on bringing some of their own rules and regulations with me just in case they decided to misquote their own laws but I’m wondering if I should rethink that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have experience with telling an officer how to do their job? I was planning on bringing some of their own rules and regulations with me just in case they decided to misquote their own laws but I’m wondering if I should rethink that.
Don't do that - bad idea.

You were correctly turned away the first two times. They did nothing wrong (you came with insufficient documents) and it's not surprising they got annoying at the second border crossing. You were trying a second time after already being told you had insuffcient documents the first time.

Reactions: Ndcr85

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
Don't do that - bad idea.

You were correctly turned away the first two times. They did nothing wrong (you came with insufficient documents) and it's not surprising they got annoying at the second border crossing. You were trying a second time after already being told you had insuffcient documents the first time.
Thanks Scylla, I’ll follow your advice on that. Could you advise me on what to say if they mention the 2nd border attempt at the other border crossing? I was actually undecided on where I’d be driving to, thinking I had to go that way anyway but when they asked me why I came through, I completely forgot that was my original reason for driving so far and I just said I felt like driving. Not surprisingly, they didn’t believe that and seemed to get upset about it. I just get nervous and go blank when I talk to people carrying guns, even if small ones.

I’m just trying to get the right papers without them thinking I’m trying to trick them, because I’m not. Any words of wisdom if the 2nd border attempt gets mentioned at the first border would be much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla, I’ll follow your advice on that. Could you advise me on what to say if they mention the 2nd border attempt at the other border crossing? I was actually undecided on where I’d be driving to, thinking I had to go that way anyway but when they asked me why I came through, I completely forgot that was my original reason for driving so far and I just said I felt like driving. Not surprisingly, they didn’t believe that and seemed to get upset about it. I just get nervous and go blank when I talk to people carrying guns, even if small ones.

I’m just trying to get the right papers without them thinking I’m trying to trick them, because I’m not. Any words of wisdom if the 2nd border attempt gets mentioned at the first border would be much appreciated.
The 2nd border attempt was honestly a really really bad call on your part. But what's done is done.

If they ask you about the second border crossing then you should give an honest answer. Keep the answer simple. Don't make up anything or make up some sort of elaborate excuse. Tell the simple truth. That's always the best policy at the border.

The explanation you have provdied above (saying you just felt like driving) doesn't make any sense at all. You don't go driving and accidentally end up at the border. I don't believe that and neither will they. You clearly went to attempt to get a work permit again. If you're asked, be honest. Say you tried a second time.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Ndcr85

Feb 2, 2020
The 2nd border attempt was honestly a really really bad call on your part. But what's done is done.

If they ask you about the second border crossing then you should give an honest answer. Keep the answer simple. Don't make up anything or make up some sort of elaborate excuse. Tell the simple truth. That's always the best policy at the border.

The explanation you have provdied above (saying you just felt like driving) doesn't make any sense at all. You don't go driving and accidentally end up at the border. I don't believe that and neither will they. You clearly went to attempt to get a work permit again. If you're asked, be honest. Say you tried a second time.
that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks so much for your advice!

Meghab

Apr 21, 2020
I entered the Canada border by car last week with a invite letter/job offer from a Canadian employer. I was misinformed by the company and I thought this was all I would need to bring. That said, the border officer informed me it wasn’t enough information and sent me on my way and said to come back when I had enough supporting evidence for what I planned to do.

Well, I made a mistake and tried a different border only a few days later thinking maybe it would be easier. They got annoyed that I didn’t go to the first border since it was closer to home for me. Nevertheless, they told me to get more supporting documents and return to the first border, not the second one I just tried.

I want to take this job and I think I now have enough documents to give to the border agent but I’m concerned they might be upset I tried a different border so soon after the first failed attempt and refuse me on those grounds alone.

What do you think?
Hello
I also went to border for work permit.
I want to share something important with you.
Please contact me or give me your contact information

meghabanga82@gmail.com

Meghab

Apr 21, 2020

What do you think?
Hello

Is there any way that I can contact you.

I have few doubt related to apply at border

My contact
meghabanga82@gmail.com