+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"allowed to leave Canada" what do i do now?

Ariel2

Jun 21, 2012
Ok so you may not beleive me but i dont need to lie as this is just a forum and this is 100% true.
I flew from the UK (as i am a british) to Canada afew days ago, i did not have a return flight as i wanted to keep the date open for my return (3-4months) which i think is why i was pulled into customs.

They asked alot of questions etc.. but on baggage inspection they found drugs in my bag (I DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE THERE) it was only a small amount and the drugs are legal but illegal to import, so i was refused entry and signed a "allowed to leave Canada" form, which meant I had to get the next flight home, but caught a flight to Amsterdam instead as this was the cheapest option, although I have not yet went back to the UK.

Now my question is, was i supposed to go back to UK from Amsterdam, or was it the case of i just had to leave Canada there and then. Because i would like to return to Canada and finish off my vacation which never started and i dont see the point in flying to the UK just to fly to Canada.

Another thing is, i no longer have a job in the UK as i resigned, i have no bills to pay so dont have anything at all to prove that i have ties back home, apart from my family (but what can i use to prove that??)
I have friends staying in Canada who I am going to visit, do i need there address i take it, and all the contact infomation? even if they were going to be picking me up from the airport.

Thanks for your help guys - much apprechiated.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
Since you signed the 'allowed to leave' and you were allowed to enter at Amsterdam that's fine. You were not issued a removal order, but there is very likely a record of your having been issued the allowed to leave and why in the CBSA system.

If you seek to return to Canada in the future you should expect to be examined carefully since you are more likely than not flagged.

Provided you satisfy the officer that examines you when you apply to enter Canada again as a visitor (which will decidedly be more difficult based on your circumstances and passed history) you could be allowed to enter.

However, put yourself in the reviewing officer's position based on the information in your history and the 'truthful' responses you will provide related to what connection you have to home (job etc.) and the AL and the likely conclusion that the officer could draw.

Is it worth another plane ticket to try. Up to you.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
I think you would do better to book a return ticket (they always seem vastly cheaper than singles anyway??) then change the return date to suit, airlines charge a change fee to switch dates but only usually around a hundred quid or so, and having a return ticket booked on entry has to look better to the border police.

BTW are you saying someone else put the drugs in your case?

Ariel2

Jun 21, 2012
They were in the side pocket of my toiletry bag, I had totally forgot as there was such a small amount, I will try to return to the country either this week or next and let you know how it goes this time (ha) will check everything before I pack it this time!! And I will sort my documents a lot better this time seen as though I will be flagged and will be getting inspected!

Thanks guys