Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Hi all

Can someone from Alberta (Calgary) answer a couple of questions?

1. How is the day care system in AB. I mean some new residents arrive there with an infant baby. Is there a public system that assists working parents?

2. What is the name of the most popular Grocery markets, supermarkets in AB. In Ontario for example is Loblaws, Highland Farms etc.

3. Are home rentals in AB similar to Ontario regarding utilities. In most cases in Ontario electricity, heat, appliances are included.

Thanks in advance!

messenger

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know the day care system. I have heard it's expensive though.

Common supermarkets in AB are Safeway, Sobeys, Superstore, Walmart etc.

Renting in AB is a little different than in Ontario. The heating tends to be included, power maybe not. Appliances are included but an important difference is that in AB you pay first months rent and damage deposit as opposed to first and last. This means that the initial walk through is very important. You must make sure that all damages to the apartment are listed on the move in report. If they are not, when you move out, the landlord can accuse you of having caused them and deduct it from your deposit. When you move out, you should also do a walk through and if there is anything you don't agree with, refuse to sign it.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
messenger said:
Hi all

Can someone from Alberta (Calgary) answer a couple of questions?

1. How is the day care system in AB. I mean some new residents arrive there with an infant baby. Is there a public system that assists working parents?

2. What is the name of the most popular Grocery markets, supermarkets in AB. In Ontario for example is Loblaws, Highland Farms etc.

3. Are home rentals in AB similar to Ontario regarding utilities. In most cases in Ontario electricity, heat, appliances are included.

Thanks in advance!

messenger
1) Many dayhomes won't take under 12 months, no exceptions. Those spaces will be limited and probably more expensive. They price by month, average is about $800 a month.

2) Co-Op operates in Alberta as well. They have gas stations and liquor stores too. You can become a member and get coupons for groceries when you buy gas.

3) Expect all inclusive rentals in Calgary is disappear. We switched to metered water recently, meaning you pay by usage instead of a flat rate. A lot of places (especially illegal suites) divide utilies between the house and the basement apartment. Usually 60/40%, meaning if you get a neighbor that is wasteful, you get punished for it. The landlords are too lazy/cheap to put in a second furnace and water heater.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Thank you amikety and Leon

So I take it there is no government run or assisted daycare system in Alberta or in Canada generally?
No of course i wasn't talking for a new born baby!

So the conditions in home/apartment rentals is not that clear in AB. I remember when I was in Ontario 90% of the rentals had almost all inclusive utilities. I was expecting AB having so much resources at least to have water-heating-electricity as a standard in the rent!

Regards

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
There is income subsidy for daycare. Depending on how much you make, they cover a portion. They also provide subsidy for university or job searching! (The rules are a little stricter there, like you have to turn in your class schedule, etc...so if you need a break to study, schedule two classes far apart :p )

Here is the website: http://humanservices.alberta.ca/financial-support/15104.html

It also differs if you pick a licensed daycare centre or a private/registered dayhome.

One thing to know about Alberta - they don't regulate private dayhomes very well. There's nothing for Calgary at all. (We looked and looked, even called several government agencies and got nothing!) Registered dayhomes must follow the rules of their agencies, so there are at least published standards. I am not saying all private dayhomes are bad, because my friends use one and it's wonderful. I'm just saying be careful. Any private dayhome should have a comprehensive contract that clearly outlines their policies.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is still common for apartments to include utilities but if you rent a house, it is not so common. As long as you know what is included when you rent the place, you can compare prices.

It doesn't really have to do with the resources of the province, just what is customary where you live. Don't tell me that the landlord doesn't roll the included utilities into the amount of the rent. If you were a landlord, you wouldn't give it away either ;)

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
amikety said:
There is income subsidy for daycare. Depending on how much you make, they cover a portion. They also provide subsidy for university or job searching! (The rules are a little stricter there, like you have to turn in your class schedule, etc...so if you need a break to study, schedule two classes far apart :p )

Here is the website: http://humanservices.alberta.ca/financial-support/15104.html
Hi amikety

I did check the site for Human Services and it was very helpful. They even have a calculator where one can see if he is eligible. Of course I am not in Canada yet so I will get back to it when we get there!
We gonna meet up too for a coffee won't we?

Tom

Leon said:
It is still common for apartments to include utilities but if you rent a house, it is not so common. As long as you know what is included when you rent the place, you can compare prices.

It doesn't really have to do with the resources of the province, just what is customary where you live. Don't tell me that the landlord doesn't roll the included utilities into the amount of the rent. If you were a landlord, you wouldn't give it away either ;)
Leon thank you my friend!

Of course I would add it in the rent. It's just that I've been away from Canada for 23 years and I am catching up on the customs there.
The idea of having utilities included I find it very good especially for newcomers renters. In the country where I live now and generally in Europe things like this are hard to find.
Having not only the utilities in the rent but also in many cases the appliances it takes the headache off from people.

Regards

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
messenger said:
Hi amikety

I did check the site for Human Services and it was very helpful. They even have a calculator where one can see if he is eligible. Of course I am not in Canada yet so I will get back to it when we get there!
We gonna meet up too for a coffee won't we?

Tom

Leon thank you my friend!

Of course I would add it in the rent. It's just that I've been away from Canada for 23 years and I am catching up on the customs there.
The idea of having utilities included I find it very good especially for newcomers renters. In the country where I live now and generally in Europe things like this are hard to find.
Having not only the utilities in the rent but also in many cases the appliances it takes the headache off from people.

Regards
Of course!

Utilities are included in my rental. Our house is being sold (again), so we're predicting a fight with the new landlord (again) about the utilities. The house only has 1 furnance and one water heater. It's all tied in together - would take major renos to separate them. I'm just hoping we can hold off having to move until I get a job.