+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Provincial Taxes versus other provinces

snowman42

Nov 12, 2012
Alberta is well known for having no sales tax. This means that if you buy a camera in Alberta you'll only pay Canadian tax (GST) = 5%. If you buy the same camera in Ontario you'll pay GST (5%) + Ontario tax (8%) so your total will be 13%. This sounds big, but i want to make sure it is understood that, although Alberta may be a great place to live, government programs have to be paid for somehow, so where they don't take your money from sales tax they take if from other "fees." :(

I moved from Ontario to Alberta just last month with my family. As an example, in Ontario elementary schools are completely covered by tax. In fact, schools can ask for money from parents for school supplies, but parents don't have to give it. The school will provide it all if necessary. In Alberta, not only do we get a list of school supplies (can be $200 or more), but there are other fees, as well. Just to stay at school for lunch (no lunch provided - only sitting at school) we pay the school $21/month :mad:. If he bussed, we'd have to pay a bussing fee. These are all free in Ontario. So although there is no sales tax, other fees help make up for that through public services.

Bottom line: The saying that "nothing is sure except death and taxes" applies to Alberta, as well. If you don't may taxes directly, you'll pay them in fees somewhere, unless you don't have kids, and don't go out other than to go shopping! I just wanted to let you know. I had not heard this talked about until I moved and noticed it first hand.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
snowman42 said:
Alberta is well known for having no sales tax. This means that if you buy a camera in Alberta you'll only pay Canadian tax (GST) = 5%. If you buy the same camera in Ontario you'll pay GST (5%) + Ontario tax (8%) so your total will be 13%. This sounds big, but i want to make sure it is understood that, although Alberta may be a great place to live, government programs have to be paid for somehow, so where they don't take your money from sales tax they take if from other "fees." :(

I moved from Ontario to Alberta just last month with my family. As an example, in Ontario elementary schools are completely covered by tax. In fact, schools can ask for money from parents for school supplies, but parents don't have to give it. The school will provide it all if necessary. In Alberta, not only do we get a list of school supplies (can be $200 or more), but there are other fees, as well. Just to stay at school for lunch (no lunch provided - only sitting at school) we pay the school $21/month :mad:. If he bussed, we'd have to pay a bussing fee. These are all free in Ontario. So although there is no sales tax, other fees help make up for that through public services.

Bottom line: The saying that "nothing is sure except death and taxes" applies to Alberta, as well. If you don't may taxes directly, you'll pay them in fees somewhere, unless you don't have kids, and don't go out other than to go shopping! I just wanted to let you know. I had not heard this talked about until I moved and noticed it first hand.

Yes I remember once I wrote my experience about school $ 50 tuition annual, $ 185 supervision annual. Approx $100 recreational And 1200$ if you need bus fees then couple of forum member replied that this not truth .

In Alberta we need to pay these fees .

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Alberta's average wage is now higher than Ontario and house prices are still lower.

Plus the weather is 1000x better. :D

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
amikety said:
Alberta's average wage is now higher than Ontario and house prices are still lower.

Plus the weather is 1000x better. :D
I agreed with Weather )x i am loving it .