+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta or Saskatchewan

estong

Oct 27, 2008
hi to all.. please give me some inputs about this two provinces... i know there's a lot of information i can gather around the internet but i want some information who personally living in the said two provinces...
you input and advice is highly appreciated as i am thinking which among the two are the best province to start with especially if you are moving along with your family...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know too much about Saskatchewan but I live in AB. There seem to be somewhat more people from SK moving to AB for jobs but I know of a couple of people who've gone the other way. You should check your job opportunities in both provinces before you decide.

Most of SK is fairly flat, for example the joke about how you can watch your dog run away for 3 days while the two major cities in AB are close to the Rockies. It's very beautiful there so if you like skiing or hiking, that might be a factor for you.

estong

Oct 27, 2008
thanks leon for the input... i am considering many factors right now, but i will take your advice...

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
BCguy said:
How about Beautiful British Columbia???
BCGuy,

The company I works with are in BC also and I may be able to find a job in there, however I am bit hesitant to live in BC because of the cost of living which will push me to apartment life if not forever but at least for quite sometime and I hate apartment life as I have two little ones and they want to play. Not that kids don't live in apartments but they need bigger spaces which apartments don't have.

I would like to settle where I will be able to afford a house later on if not immediately. I know it is (BC) beautiful and all that but at the same time it is expensive to live for a new comer.

Getting There

Aug 22, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
estong said:
hi to all.. please give me some inputs about this two provinces... i know there's a lot of information i can gather around the internet but i want some information who personally living in the said two provinces...
you input and advice is highly appreciated as i am thinking which among the two are the best province to start with especially if you are moving along with your family...
Hi estong,

Well we're completely biased as we're in Alberta too! We live in a town called Okotoks, a little way south of Calgary. It's a nice small town feel, about 20,000 people, good community spirit, very family oriented, commutable to Calgary (most especially if work didn't demand you to be in downtown Calgary in rush hour, OR, if work took you to the southern reaches of Calgary), good shopping and restaurants - enough for almost all day to day living needs, good schools, etc. Banff, in the Rockies, is a two hour drive from our house. You can see the Rockies clearly from Okotoks - which still makes us pinch ourselves at times - we moved here from the UK in 2007. For a little taste of life out this way, feel free to have a look at our blog...loads of pics on there...might give you more of a flavour of things.
http://janandeam.blogspot.com/

Best wishes with whatever decision you make.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.

Hi estong
For us it was Alberta, we visited Saskatchewan and decided Calgary had more to offer our family. We have friends who have lived in both places and prefer Calgary for family life. What line of work are you in and when do you hope to arrive?? Regards Sam

estong

Oct 27, 2008
thanks sam-in-okotoks...
i was working in two jobs here in the us so both of them have potential to apply as PNP.. and my previous work experience can shoot-in in the 38 lucky jobs.

C

cchabert

Eamonn & Janet very nice Blog that you guys have, I would like to ask how far is your town from Calgary? right now I commute 28 miles ( 44.8 km) from my house to work everyday, so I'll have an idea.

Also if you don't mind because of your real state knowledge, I was told that the good areas of Calgary are to the south, I have two small daughters and I'm looking for a nice and affordable place in Calgary, I know every city has its industrial part, the not so nice area to live, etc. How about near the Chinook mall?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
If you're a big an of Star Trek, you may want to consider Vulcan, AB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan,_Alberta

:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I should have known about that. Would have been a way cool place to live. However, a town of 2000 ppl mainly agriculture based probably don't provide a lot of job opportunities.