Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
My wife and elder child are in India at the moment, awaiting the confirmation of Permanent Residency for our second child (sponsorship application). Once the we get the passport stamped, for our second child, all the 3 of them will come back to Canada and will reside in Alberta.

Due to COVID, the application process is taking longer time than usual. Both my wife's and my elder daughter's Alberta health cards are set to expire at the end of June, 2021.

Assuming they come back to Alberta on a Permanent Resident Tavel Document (PR card will expire around June as well) after the Health Card expires (worst case scenario) what is the option to renew/re-apply for the Alberta Health Card without the valid PR Card in hand? We will apply for PR card renewal once they come back.

Will they be eligible for Alberta health coverage from the date they land in Alberta ? Or, do I have to buy a private insurance separately till they get their Alberta Health Card? If I have to buy a private insurance, could you just give me names of a couple of providers who do that ?

I'm assuming my younger daughter who will be a first time PR will be eligible from the date she lands in Alberta, right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife and elder child are in India at the moment, awaiting the confirmation of Permanent Residency for our second child (sponsorship application). Once the we get the passport stamped, for our second child, all the 3 of them will come back to Canada and will reside in Alberta.

Due to COVID, the application process is taking longer time than usual. Both my wife's and my elder daughter's Alberta health cards are set to expire at the end of June, 2021.

Assuming they come back to Alberta on a Permanent Resident Tavel Document (PR card will expire around June as well) after the Health Card expires (worst case scenario) what is the option to renew/re-apply for the Alberta Health Card without the valid PR Card in hand? We will apply for PR card renewal once they come back.

Will they be eligible for Alberta health coverage from the date they land in Alberta ? Or, do I have to buy a private insurance separately till they get their Alberta Health Card? If I have to buy a private insurance, could you just give me names of a couple of providers who do that ?

I'm assuming my younger daughter who will be a first time PR will be eligible from the date she lands in Alberta, right?
How long have they been out of Canada? It looks like 1.5 years so they have no met the RO to receive AHS and must reapply. You may have a valid card but you must meet the AHS RO or you no longer qualify to use the card and can be asked to reimburse and costs if you continue to use the card. You are also supposed to advise AHS if you are out of the country for a long period of time so they can make sure nobody is using your number fraudulently. When they reapply they’ll need to meet the first year RO for AHS again which I believe is being in Alberta for 12 months. Your wife and 2 children will all need to apply for AHS cards when they return. Do they have proof that they have been in Canada for 2 out of the past 5 years. Whether you apply for a health card with an expired PR card depends on the province. I know some provinces allow you to apply if your PR card expired within the past few years. Would contact AHS.

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
Hi @canuck78 , thank you for your reply.

They have been out of Canada since June 2019. I got a mail in May 2020 that the health card will expire at the end of June 2020. They revised to 2 year (max period) as I mentioned that the application process is taking time due to COVID delays.

Proof of their stay would be the travel dates in the passport. I called AHS and they mentioned that after re-applying they need to meet the obligation of 180+ days stay in Calendar year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78 , thank you for your reply.

They have been out of Canada since June 2019. I got a mail in May 2020 that the health card will expire at the end of June 2020. They revised to 2 year (max period) as I mentioned that the application process is taking time due to COVID delays.

Proof of their stay would be the travel dates in the passport. I called AHS and they mentioned that after re-applying they need to meet the obligation of 180+ days stay in Calendar year.
They will need to reapply but should receive coverage right away as long as they plan on remaining in Alberta for the next 12 months. If they have been out of Canada for so long I would expect them to need to meet the 1st year requirement again which is 12 months not 6 months but you can clarify with AHS. Depending on how much time they spent in Alberta before leaving and if they used any healthcare services you could be asked to repay any services they received without meeting the AHS residency requirement.