+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta health insurance

Snell

Aug 17, 2021
If you haven’t met the 6 months in Ontario you aren’t entitled to OHIP so you may end up with 3 months without coverage because OHIP would be responsible for your coverage for 3 months but if OHIP realizes you haven’t met their RO to receive OHIP they will refuse to pay.
Hi Canuck78,

I am having similar situation. I stayed from July 2018 - Feb 2019 (15days out of Canada during this period) in Toronto and I had my OHIP. Due to lockdown I couldn't return. Now I am planning to return but to Calgary.

So will I be covered under AHCIP from day one or do I have to wait for 3 months?

Thank you,
Snell

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78,

I am having similar situation. I stayed from July 2018 - Feb 2019 (15days out of Canada during this period) in Toronto and I had my OHIP. Due to lockdown I couldn't return. Now I am planning to return but to Calgary.

So will I be covered under AHCIP from day one or do I have to wait for 3 months?

Thank you,
Snell
Did you advise OHIP that you left Ontario in February 2019. If so then your OHIP would now be cancelled and you could apply for Alberta healthcare right away.

Snell

Aug 17, 2021
Did you advise OHIP that you left Ontario in February 2019. If so then your OHIP would now be cancelled and you could apply for Alberta healthcare right away.
No I didn't advise as my plan was to return back soon.. but due to personal reasons and pandemic I got stuck here.

So what should I do now to advise them about my status.?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I didn't advise as my plan was to return back soon.. but due to personal reasons and pandemic I got stuck here.

So what should I do now to advise them about my status.?
Yes would contact OHIP to advise them that you’ve been out of the country since Feb 2019,

Reactions: Snell