+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

after landing things

vinnn

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Hey guys, please help in full information on things that need to do after landing in 2022, such as SIN, OHIP, PR card and also the search for a rental home

any links where these things are in detail

Reactions: Sicilian and tar86

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys, please help in full information on things that need to do after landing in 2022, such as SIN, OHIP, PR card and also the search for a rental home

any links where these things are in detail
SIN: service canada, although you can do online, you should get in a couple weeks (real time).

OHIP: service ontario but need an ontario address, see the requirements on ontario website.

Driver's license or ontario photocard: same place basically but driver's license MUCH more complex.

PR card: application should be done for you upon landing, receive in 1-4 months.

Rental: well, you can start with internet.

vinnn

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
SIN: service canada, although you can do online, you should get in a couple weeks (real time).

OHIP: service ontario but need an ontario address, see the requirements on ontario website.

Driver's license or ontario photocard: same place basically but driver's license MUCH more complex.

PR card: application should be done for you upon landing, receive in 1-4 months.

Rental: well, you can start with internet.
Thanks a lot for your input

I am from India and will be settling in Toronto
1. for rentals, do I have only the option of Airbnb as we do not have SIN yet, so we can't book a rental ? am I right
2. is there any other identification card like in India we have aadhar, pan card etc\
3. For SIN , what is advisable online or service Canada? and can I fill it after my copr or only after landing

thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a lot for your input

I am from India and will be settling in Toronto
1. for rentals, do I have only the option of Airbnb as we do not have SIN yet, so we can't book a rental ? am I right
2. is there any other identification card like in India we have aadhar, pan card etc\
3. For SIN , what is advisable online or service Canada? and can I fill it after my copr or only after landing

thanks
1. YOu can use whatever you want, there's no requirment to use SIN, landlords will often want to do a credit check or get larger deposit. Obviously credit check hard for those who are new to the country. Perhaps others have suggestions. There are also firms and other ads for places that rent apartments or houses for longer or shorter terms; one year is considered a normal 'lease' but there are those who'd like to rent for 2-6 months too.

2. No, it's a jumble of different IDs in provinces. Health card, driver's license or Ontario photo card (only used for those who do not have driver's licenses), whatever. The truth is in Canada most places don't ask for id often, health card or dirver's license will be enough 90% of the time. You can of course use your foreign passport - but for things where you need to show residence in Canada, not great. (You can use PR card but we prefer not to carry it around). Oh, of course, increasingly lots of places are fine with pictures on phone (except for health card to receive health services).

3. Either is fine, only after landing. Online it takes a few weeks, service canada is right away.

Reactions: tar86 and vinnn

tar86

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Dubai
1. YOu can use whatever you want, there's no requirment to use SIN, landlords will often want to do a credit check or get larger deposit. Obviously credit check hard for those who are new to the country. Perhaps others have suggestions. There are also firms and other ads for places that rent apartments or houses for longer or shorter terms; one year is considered a normal 'lease' but there are those who'd like to rent for 2-6 months too.

2. No, it's a jumble of different IDs in provinces. Health card, driver's license or Ontario photo card (only used for those who do not have driver's licenses), whatever. The truth is in Canada most places don't ask for id often, health card or dirver's license will be enough 90% of the time. You can of course use your foreign passport - but for things where you need to show residence in Canada, not great. (You can use PR card but we prefer not to carry it around). Oh, of course, increasingly lots of places are fine with pictures on phone (except for health card to receive health services).

3. Either is fine, only after landing. Online it takes a few weeks, service canada is right away.
Thanks for sharing valuable information.
What is the best platform to search a short-term lease of one-room except AirBNB. I'm single and moving to Canada in a couple of months and initially I want to rent in a single room for 2-3 months in Toronto.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for sharing valuable information.
What is the best platform to search a short-term lease of one-room except AirBNB. I'm single and moving to Canada in a couple of months and initially I want to rent in a single room for 2-3 months in Toronto.
Kijiji is probably a good source for rentals. Be careful for scams. Many landlords want to meet In person before renting. Would also warn you that many try to take advantage of newcomers and especially members of their own citizenship of origin by overcharging. Renting for a short period of time will be more expensive but within reason. If you are arriving during the summer you may be able to sublet for a month or two from a student who has moved away for the summer. If landing a Pearson there is a service Canada office where you can apply for a SIN#. They are only open certain hours. Would personally recommend going in person to get aSIN# because it will be much faster. Would add opening a bank account and getting a bank card to your list.

Hope_2021

May 30, 2020
hi guys, have a question regarding flying by a connection flight. So my itinerary is Abu Dhabi - Zurich - Toronto with a layover time of 1hr 45 mins at Zurich. Is this short layover time a cause for concern? Should I be looking at flights with longer layover time?