+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After having CSQ - am I eligible to do for sponsorship of my parents?

KumarD2020

Jul 14, 2020
My husband came to Quebec, Canada on study permit then after the completion of a masters degree, he got an open work permit and starts his job, on that permit, I also get an open work permit + work visa and landed in Quebec, Canada. Within 8 months, we both get CSQ (Quebec Selection Certificate/Certificat de sélection du Québec ) confirmation of Quebec, which is valid for 2 years and in this 2 year we will apply for federal PR

Can I apply for my parent's sponsorship on the CSQ status or I need federal PR? and if I am eligible to apply then it will give a bad impact on my federal PR application?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to be PRs or Citizens to be able to sponsor parents for PR if that is what you are asking and should expect it to take a few years even assuming you are successful in the parent sponsorship 'lottery'..

Reactions: KumarD2020

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My husband came to Quebec, Canada on study permit then after the completion of a masters degree, he got an open work permit and starts his job, on that permit, I also get an open work permit + work visa and landed in Quebec, Canada. Within 8 months, we both get CSQ (Quebec Selection Certificate/Certificat de sélection du Québec ) confirmation of Quebec, which is valid for 2 years and in this 2 year we will apply for federal PR

Can I apply for my parent's sponsorship on the CSQ status or I need federal PR? and if I am eligible to apply then it will give a bad impact on my federal PR application?

You should keep in mind the demand is so great , you may never be able to sponsor them

KumarD2020

Jul 14, 2020
You need to be PRs or Citizens to be able to sponsor parents for PR if that is what you are asking and should expect it to take a few years even assuming you are successful in the parent sponsorship 'lottery'..
Okay , i need my Pr first , then i can atleast eligible to apply for sponsorship ? Is there anything else i need to fullfill the eligibility criteria?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Demand of sponsorship is high ? And would you mind to tell me that why i will never be able to sponsor ???? I did not get you
Others can comment/ correct but Demand is extremely high many Thousands of people want to bring their parents to Canada . The process believe unless changed is currently a first in process on the application day so people wait years just to be lucky to get a slot, many resign themselves to never being able to do so given program is always oversubscribed.

Nobody can apply with an expression of interest until they announce the program each year and then there is a small quota even if lucky enough to get in the queue. If selected if can take up to 2 years or even more to complete so many people just go for a super visa which allows for extended upto 2 year stays.

People should not follow through with immigration on the expectation that parents will be able to follow

All the information you need on eligibility is on IRCC site, just google Canada parent or some such search

For information the 2019 quota was 20000 applications , the expression of interest window closed within 10 minutes of opening so demand far exceeded the quota with an undetermined number disappointed

Last edited:
Reactions: KumarD2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay , i need my Pr first , then i can atleast eligible to apply for sponsorship ? Is there anything else i need to fullfill the eligibility criteria?
Once you are a PR and meet income requirements, you can try to secure a sponsorship spot. As others have said, there are a limited number of sponsorship openings each year and far more people looking to sponsor their parents than spots available.

anishgoel

Dec 6, 2017
A related question: If a person (on PR status) sponsors his/her parents from Quebec, do the parents need CSQ?

frange

May 25, 2018
A related question: If a person (on PR status) sponsors his/her parents from Quebec, do the parents need CSQ?
For all type of immigration in Quebec, you need a Quebec document first.
1-CSQ is required for all permanent category.
2-CAQ is required for all temporary category.

anishgoel

Dec 6, 2017
Thank you @frange . My follow-up question would be: Do the parents need to take French exam to get the CSQ? Or its a normal process of just filing CSQ?

frange

May 25, 2018

anishgoel

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks again @frange . If they change the rule, more people (who want to sponsor parents) will move out of Quebec. Its ok if that's what they want. P.S. I already moved out of Quebec to file express entry and got my PR approved within 100 days of application submission. Whereas many of my friends had to wait for frustrating 1000 days + to get CSQ + PR.