+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice please...?

Infy

Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me on obtaining an LMO, it'd be greatly appreciated.

My situation is thus: About two years ago I fell in love with an amazing Canadian woman on the internet and after much too-ing and fro-ing, discussing and debating, we decided that I would come out to Canada (I'm British by the way) and see how this relationship goes. Well, two weeks ago I arrived at Calgary airport and got myself out to Edmonton to meet her in the flesh for the first time, and it was everything I expected and more. To cut the story short we are very happy and I really don't want to have to go back to England. She's 41 and I'm 23, so that must look highly suspicious to any immigration worker (like I'm using her as a ticket to work here etc) therefore we want to do everything EXACTLY above board and proper to avoid any accusations of trying to play the system or some immigration worker saying "You're not a couple, you're just trying to get a visa etc". Unfortunately in our experiences so far, they don't really take into account such things as love, haha.

Anyway here's the thing though... I am currently only here on a visitor's visa therefore I cannot work. We have of course looked into what to do and have even had one prospective employer request my CV/Resume with getting me an LMO in mind. However, everywhere I turn for support it seems that they cannot help me without me being an actual temporary worker or resident, there's very little help for people here on a visitor's visa. Am I simply doing something wrong, not looking in the right place? Or am I simply screwed unless I can find an employer to provide an LMO and employment, and that's all there is to it? That's certainly the feedback I've had so far from various organisations I've come into contact with (such as Service Canada or Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers who were suggested to me, but gave me the same, tired old "Unless you're a resident or temp' worker we can't help")

Is it going to be a case of simply cold-calling companies and seeing if they will be willing to go through the process? My background is in the food industry, with some retail and also landscape gardening experience. However it will have to be entry level because I have no qualifications, just years of experience in England.

To be honest, I am feeling quite daunted and demoralised about the entire thing right now, it seems almost hopeless, though I know it can't be because foreign workers are everywhere! I want in on it so that I can stay and provide for my family and it really stings that it's made so hard, though I realise it's hard for good reason.

So please, any advice on how to go about obtaining an LMO in the Edmonton area would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any reply and for the time you took to read this.

Scott.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're on the right track. What you need to do is find an employer who is both willing to hire you and also willing to go through the LMO process. This will likely be no easy task. To get an LMO approved, an employer must prove that they could not find a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to hire or train for the job and for this reason have to hire you (a foreigner). This involves posting the job in Canadian job board for several weeks to see if any Canadians apply. Assuming no Canadians apply, the employer then submits an LMO approval application to Human Resources Canada. If they approve the LMO, you can then apply for a work permit for that specific job.

I think you will likely face challenges on a few fronts in finding a job. First of all, many employers aren't interested/willing to go through the LMO process because of the time and amount of paperwork it takes (and at the end, there's still no guarantee the LMO will be approved). Secondly, keep in mind that your employer must prove they could not find a Canadian to do your job in order for the LMO to be approved. This can be somewhat easier to prove if the employer is trying to fill a highly specialized and skilled job (e.g. specific type of engineer). It's much more difficult to prove for general labour and sales jobs. It sounds like you're looking for an entry level job. If so, then it will likely be quite difficult for an employer to obtain an approved LMO. However this doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Unfortunately there's no easy solution or short-cut. You'll just have to keep pounding the pavement and applying for roles - and hopefully you'll get lucky!

You mentioned that you see foreign workers everywhere. By that, do you mean people who don't appear to have been born in Canada? If so, keep in mind that Canada has a huge immigrant population and many of these people you see are likely permanent residents (if not citizens). Others may be here on student visas (students can work part time). Still others may be here on student "work a year abroad" programs.

Good luck in your search!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add... Yes - it makes perfect sense that organizations like Services Canada are turning you away. These organizations provide support to people who are already legally allowed to work. For this reason they are not equipped to help someone in your situation. These organizations are also funded by tax payer dollars and for this reason it makes sense that they're focused on helping people who already have a status in Canada that allows them to work.

Unfortunately there really aren't any organizations out there who help people in your situation. And as hard as this must be for you to hear, you're really on your own. One word of caution, if you do come across any consultants promissing a job offer/LMO for a fee - run in the opposite direction - it's almost surely a scam.

Good luck again! I hope something pans out...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are 23 and British, have you looked into a working holiday visa? It is a one year open work permit and if you find an employer who wants to apply for your LMO, you can get a regular work permit before your one year permit expires. See http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx for more info.

Infy

Jun 27, 2011
A Working Holiday Visa is well worth looking into. Thank you for the info, everyone.

It's assuring to know that I'm on the right track and know what I'm doing, even just the few replies from you guys makes me feel better about the whole thing. One step at a time!