+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Express Entry - Getting married in less than a month

shutty

Nov 24, 2016
Me and my Fiancé completed our express entry profile and have 508 points and will hopefully get our ITA on the next draw.

We are due to get married on the 25th May.

We are currently on IEC visa that expire in October 2017.

We have a joint application as common-laws.

Would it be advisable to withdraw our application and resubmit this when we are married - or is it relatively easy to update our profile once we have the ITA?

==================

Also at what stage do you gain implied status? Is this when you have sent you application to CIC after the ITA?

=============

I'm thinking for a difference of 1 month that it may be worthwhile resubmitting the EE profile but I am also aware that our timelines are getting tight as our IEC visa expires in less than 6 months.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shutty said:
Would it be advisable to withdraw our application and resubmit this when we are married - or is it relatively easy to update our profile once we have the ITA?

==================

Also at what stage do you gain implied status? Is this when you have sent you application to CIC after the ITA?
There is no need to withdraw your profile. You can simply update it when you get married.

Submitting a PR app does not grant any form of Implied Status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Submitting the ITA profile does not give you implied status or allow you to continue working after the expiry of your IECs. IECs are a special class of work permit that cannot be extended and for this reason don't benefit from implied status.

As soon as you qualify for a BOWP (bridging open work permit) after you submit your application post ITA, you should apply for one. The BOWP should be approved before the IEC expires. If by any chance the IEC expires before the BOWP is approved, you would need to stop working as soon as the IEC expires and wait for the BOWP to be approved.

So you want to make sure your application is ready to go so that you can submit everything as soon as you get ITA.

shutty

Nov 24, 2016
Thanks for the replies -

At what stage can you update CIC regarding the marriage? and how do you do this?

On my express entry profile it doesn't allow me to change this from common-law at present