+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

advice common law pt 2

mirkopal

Star Member
Oct 13, 2009
Hi guys I just need an opinion
we sent the application on December 1st ( you know 6 kg of stuff) as common law partners. this required to have lived together (no matter where) minimum 1 year.We sent everything about that, every little proofs (bills, common bank account etc).
the application passed the first step (acceptance for the sponsor, i.e. me) Missisauga on december 31st 2009.

it was sent to Quebec, who accepted on January 20th adn finally sent everything to Rome s office.
Rome received the application on February 2nd but they opened ONLY on March 26th (i am wondering what this pack was doing in rome for 1 month).
from this date, the average waiting period for Rome is 5-7 months, that means that we still are in the timeline (26 march - now is almost 3 months).

I have met two people while I was at the immigration office in Rome. One guy, who was under the same same sex relationship status. He met his Canadian boyf only 7 months ago and they decided to get married to get the process faster (what he told me). His sent the application on December too, but 20 days after me. The file has been opened in rome the exact same day (26th of march) and he got his visa 1 month and half ago.
same thing with another girl that I met in Rome the same day.married with a canadian man after less than 1 yer they know each other and have already the visa. all these people sent the applications in december 2009 (like us).

I mean these things are making me crazy.My partner went to rome's embassy one month ago. He also proposed to give additional proofs (pictures, bills etc) to certify even more our relationship, but the immigration officer at the counter told him not to, because they had enough proofs yet.

should be get worried? or maybe is better not to think about the process time of other people. I know that sometimes immigration officers gets nervous is you bring presson on them.I was wondering if we can contact a lawyer.do you think it could change something?

another question: we sent the application to quebec because is where my partner was living. BUT since june 1st he has been sent to toronto for work for 1 year. he took an apt in toronto and we have both names on the lease (i have moved to toronto with him on june 7th and i am going to stay for a while).
considering that our application is on the final stage do you think we should advise the immigration officers that we changed address? my biggest concern is that application for PR from quebec to other provices requires some documents that are different.
moreover, we paid the quebec fee (250 dollars more for the application) and we wont be remboursed in this case.
what do you think? should i send a letter to immigraiton in rome saying in 5 lines that we are in toronto for one year (reason of my partner (sponsor) work, sending documents (phone bill, bank statements and lease) with the toronto address, or leave everything like that,,,in order not to send additional documents?
does this one will slow down the application?

thanks a lot

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
mirkopal said:
should be get worried? or maybe is better not to think about the process time of other people. I know that sometimes immigration officers gets nervous is you bring presson on them.I was wondering if we can contact a lawyer.do you think it could change something?
I think contacting a lawyer now would be a waste of money. The lawyer helps you prepare the application: you've already sent in the application; after that it is just a waiting game. If you are refused and appeal, then get a lawyer.
I know it is upsetting when you meet people whose relationship seems less strong than your own, but who nevertheless seem to get a visa with no trouble, but try not to think about that - it will just upset you and not help at all. Some visa officers are slower than others; common law is more 'difficult' than married; Quebec class probably takes a bit longer.