+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admission in University\College for my graduating son outside of Canada

vpsarab

Sep 2, 2022
Hi Community,
We are in process of getting PR under PNP and planning to move to Canada soon.
Our children are studying, while one of them is still schooling and I understand would get admission.

The other one is entering the second year of graduation, would he get admission in a similar second year of graduation in University?
Is there any preference given to students or how admission is considered in University or College?

I do not have any understanding of this process at all, please suggest.

Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Community,
We are in process of getting PR under PNP and planning to move to Canada soon.
Our children are studying, while one of them is still schooling and I understand would get admission.

The other one is entering the second year of graduation, would he get admission in a similar second year of graduation in University?
Is there any preference given to students or how admission is considered in University or College?

I do not have any understanding of this process at all, please suggest.

Thanks
there is no "automatic transfer" between university/collages.
If you older child is under 22 and is immigrating with you, he/she needs to apply and get admission from a university/collage in Canada.
Whether if the credit that s/he already finished in his/her current post-secondary school is transferable it depends and s/he needs to communicate with the future school s/he wants to attend.

Reactions: vpsarab

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general transfer credits are difficult to get unless it is with a partnering university abroad. Until you get PR your child needs to apply as an international student. If you want to apply as a domestic student you’ll need to delay studies. If you have 2 university aged children are you over 40? That makes immigrating more difficult as well.

Reactions: vpsarab

vpsarab

Sep 2, 2022
In general transfer credits are difficult to get unless it is with a partnering university abroad. Until you get PR your child needs to apply as an international student. If you want to apply as a domestic student you’ll need to delay studies. If you have 2 university aged children are you over 40? That makes immigrating more difficult as well.
Thanks
We are nearby to our PR and as he is in the second year of his degree program here, I was trying to understand where can he apply to take admission and what needs to be done to get a credit for the study which he has already done.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks
We are nearby to our PR and as he is in the second year of his degree program here, I was trying to understand where can he apply to take admission and what needs to be done to get a credit for the study which he has already done.
Assume that your child will not get any transfer credits and will need to start their degree again. Your child should only apply as a domestic student once PR has been approved. If your family is applying for PR getting a study permit as an international student will be difficult because of ties to Canada.