+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adequate knowledge of English or French...

newcomer7

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hello all,
My cousin who been living in Canada over 15 years, and now would like to apply for her Canadian citizenship, I asked her does she has Level 4 English, but she has not, since she always busy working to support her family.

Can she go to an ESL class to have her English test to get the certificate for adequate knowledge of English to apply for this cause?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hello all,
My cousin who been living in Canada over 15 years, and now would like to apply for her Canadian citizenship, I asked her does she has Level 4 English, but she has not, since she always busy working to support her family.

Can she go to an ESL class to have her English test to get the certificate for adequate knowledge of English to apply for this cause?

Level 4 is a very basic requirement. Since she is here over 15 years I feel she will surely have reached atleast this level. Next since she is working then definitely she will meet this level as she must be interacting with co-workers in English.

Reactions: foodie69

newcomer7

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Level 4 is a very basic requirement. Since she is here over 15 years I feel she will surely have reached atleast this level. Next since she is working then definitely she will meet this level as she must be interacting with co-workers in English.
Thanks KRP, does it mean she does not need any certificate for her English level to enclose with her Cittizenship Application? :(

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks KRP, does it mean she does not need any certificate for her English level to enclose with her Cittizenship Application? :(
She will have to provide proof of language skills in either English or French. She can take the IELTS general training or CELPIP LS for English.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Your cousin will have to demonstrate her proficiency in either English or French . Like all applicants she needs some certificate or diploma showing she has an acceptable knowledge of English or French.
Even applicants whose mother tongue is English or French are required to comply with this requirement.

Reactions: newcomer7

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello all,

There is no way around having one of the acceptable proofs of language. See here for the options:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571&top=5

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Hello all,

Did your cousin did any certificate or diploma course?

newcomer7

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Did your cousin did any certificate or diploma course?
Thanks all for your inputs.
@Spicelsland,
Do you mean if she has a high-school diploma from her origin country, it is fine to enclose with her Cititzenship App.?
Please claritfy.
Thanks.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Thanks all for your inputs.
@Spicelsland,
Do you mean if she has a high-school diploma from her origin country, it is fine to enclose with her Cititzenship App.?
Please claritfy.
Thanks.
I think so as long as it’s was done in English.