+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address Change for PR Card mailing after Soft Landing

jagannathanr

May 19, 2022
Hello,
I (H1B, approved I140) and my spouse (H4) completed our soft landing on May 17, 2022 at Rainbow Bridge ; got our SINs, opened a bank account and returned back on the same day. We gave our friend's address in Ontario as our contact address but the CBSA officer interpreted our move to not be "permanent" and hence did not start processing of our PR cards. She told us to change address on IRCC once we have a permanent address. (note that she also asked us to fill out a goods to follow list which has the same friend's address)

Questions:
1. Is changing address on IRCC the only way to begin processing of our PR cards? is there a different way?
-- is this change of address safe? (will they ask for additional documenation proof for the change of address? we would not be able to provide any)
2. If we want to apply for a PRTD , what are some valid reasons according to our situation , to give for humanitarian/compassionate grounds for PRTD approval in form 5524e?
3. Is there any legal way for me and spouse to both work in the same location?
-- Can I (H1b / I140) work remotely from Canada for a US Company and still retain my H1B status?
-- Can spouse (H4) work remotely from US for a Canadian Company? (if not H or L visas, does a Business visa work?)

TIA.

labataille16

Apr 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-03-2020
Hello,
I (H1B, approved I140) and my spouse (H4) completed our soft landing on May 17, 2022 at Rainbow Bridge ; got our SINs, opened a bank account and returned back on the same day. We gave our friend's address in Ontario as our contact address but the CBSA officer interpreted our move to not be "permanent" and hence did not start processing of our PR cards. She told us to change address on IRCC once we have a permanent address. (note that she also asked us to fill out a goods to follow list which has the same friend's address)

Questions:
1. Is changing address on IRCC the only way to begin processing of our PR cards? is there a different way?
-- is this change of address safe? (will they ask for additional documenation proof for the change of address? we would not be able to provide any)
2. If we want to apply for a PRTD , what are some valid reasons according to our situation , to give for humanitarian/compassionate grounds for PRTD approval in form 5524e?
3. Is there any legal way for me and spouse to both work in the same location?
-- Can I (H1b / I140) work remotely from Canada for a US Company and still retain my H1B status?
-- Can spouse (H4) work remotely from US for a Canadian Company? (if not H or L visas, does a Business visa work?)

TIA.
Hi, could you please share more about the questions they asked and how did they come to the interpretation that your move would not be "permanent"? I plan to do a soft landing too at Toronto Airport probably this July, and am wondering if there is anything that could hinder the PR card processing? If we return back to the US, (currently we are L1B/L2 visa couple), how can we re-enter if PR card is not going to be processed?

jagannathanr

May 19, 2022
Hi, could you please share more about the questions they asked and how did they come to the interpretation that your move would not be "permanent"? I plan to do a soft landing too at Toronto Airport probably this July, and am wondering if there is anything that could hinder the PR card processing? If we return back to the US, (currently we are L1B/L2 visa couple), how can we re-enter if PR card is not going to be processed?
I would highly recommend the following things:
1. Make a goods to follow list with as much detail as possible, under the assumption that you are moving permanently (even if you are not) - if you are asked for this list, being prepared with this list also gives off an impression that the move is permanent.
2. If you have a friend's or relative's address that you are planning to use for getting PR cards mailed, do not let the CBSA officer know that it is a friend / relative's address (unless explicitly asked -- basically, never lie, but omit as many details as you can so that it is interpreted as your move is permanent) . Simple questions like "what are you planning to do in Canada" can be answered with "Getting a SIN and then finding a job" .
3. (unless you are an American citizen , in which case you can enter/exit freely as many times with an American passport) You can re-enter Canada using Passport + CoPR , but only by land, and only in a private vehicle; or apply for a PRTD (based on what I have researched so far -- read https://www.migrationlawgroup.com/post/travel-options-for-new-permanent-permanent-residents-without-permanent-resident-cards)

Good luck.

labataille16

Apr 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-03-2020
I would highly recommend the following things:
1. Make a goods to follow list with as much detail as possible, under the assumption that you are moving permanently (even if you are not) - if you are asked for this list, being prepared with this list also gives off an impression that the move is permanent.
2. If you have a friend's or relative's address that you are planning to use for getting PR cards mailed, do not let the CBSA officer know that it is a friend / relative's address (unless explicitly asked -- basically, never lie, but omit as many details as you can so that it is interpreted as your move is permanent) . Simple questions like "what are you planning to do in Canada" can be answered with "Getting a SIN and then finding a job" .
3. (unless you are an American citizen , in which case you can enter/exit freely as many times with an American passport) You can re-enter Canada using Passport + CoPR , but only by land, and only in a private vehicle; or apply for a PRTD (based on what I have researched so far -- read https://www.migrationlawgroup.com/post/travel-options-for-new-permanent-permanent-residents-without-permanent-resident-cards)

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your sharing! I think we are more or less in the same situation :) I am just wondering if they will ask whether my wife has quit her job in the US, which obviously not by the time we land (or asking what we are doing in the US prior landing to Canada...). I am on L2 and do not have a job for now, so I can tell them that I am moving there confidently.
Another question is that did you have to show your proof of funds? Is the latest bank statement accepted?
Good luck to you too! Cheers!

jagannathanr

May 19, 2022
Thank you very much for your sharing! I think we are more or less in the same situation :) I am just wondering if they will ask whether my wife has quit her job in the US, which obviously not by the time we land (or asking what we are doing in the US prior landing to Canada...). I am on L2 and do not have a job for now, so I can tell them that I am moving there confidently.
Another question is that did you have to show your proof of funds? Is the latest bank statement accepted?
Good luck to you too! Cheers!
Yes they asked for proof of funds, we had 6 months of bank statements to show.