+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse

banana_0013

Nov 10, 2012
Happy New Year everyone...I was looking for advice regarding my case.

My application was found successful and eligible for PR under the CEC category. I have done the medical exams, paid the RPRF and was asked to mail my passport for visa.

I am getting married in May and wanted to have my wife to accompany me in Canada. I would appreciate your advise on this issue. Should I ask CIC for a time-extension in order to get married and add my wife then. Or maybe apply for a spousal sponsorship once I become a PR (although that might take a while for processing, 19 months according to the visa website).

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
You can't include spouse name after PPR. You can apply for sponsorship, meantime you can apply visitor permit for your spouse to accompany with you to Canada.

vijayarr

Apr 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2013 (Myself), Added spouse to the existing application 20-12-2013
Doc's Request.
28-01-2014 (Spouse relationship questionnaire)
AOR Received.
06-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent along with application
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
6-01-2014 (Myself), 24-01-2014 (Upfront medicals for Spouse)
Did you receive your COPR? In other words, did you submit your passport already?. I believe you are really close to getting your PR. I would suggest you to sponsor your wife once you become a PR. I think it's very unlikely that CIC will wait that long. If you said that you were planning to get married next year then it is possible that you can add her to your existing application. May sounds too far!!! It's all about timing. I got married very soon to include my spouse to the existing application.

banana_0013

Nov 10, 2012
Thanks Orgchem and Vijayarr for your replies.
I am not too sure that my spouse could apply for a visitor visa after filling an application for sponsorship.
Any other ideas?!

vijayarr

Apr 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-05-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
Yeah that might be a problem! I would still apply for her visitor visa anyways (She might get rejected but you will never know until you try). I got my wife's visitor visa in 3 days (but I'm currently on work permit.. maybe that's why she got approved) and they never asked for medicals. So you could get lucky. If you bring her to Canada maybe you can sponsor her while she continues to live with you on her visiting visa. This is what I would do If I were in your situation. Please do more research and if you need any help let me know.

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
Currently If you are working in Canada, first you can apply Visitor Visa for your spouse. If you salary is quite sufficient (~>$40000) it would not be a big deal to get visitor visa. After she comes here and then you can covert visitor visa to work permit. I did the same for my spouse.

After getting work permit you can start sponsorship application.

sekarchinna

Jul 22, 2013
Hi Vijayarr and Orgchem, I am on the same position as you guys were... COuld you send me a link on the applications to be filled and the documents to be submitted from my side...and any suggestions to apply successfully,,,,

Im on workpermit which expires on june 2015 and i'm getting married on may this year...My PR application is in process, filed on Aug 30,,,...I would appriciate if you guys give some advice on documents to be submitted and application, as you guys done the process successfully..

Thank you!!!

vijayarr

Apr 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-05-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
The checklist for (Spouse) visitor visa is very vague :mad: . I did a lot of research on this forum and also elsewhere. But since mine was a success story I would like to give you my own checklist and it's totally your discretion to take my advice or leave it.

1. IMM5257E form completed and validated online
2. IMM5645 form completed
3. Marriage certificate
4. Consolidated bank balance from my bank demonstrating the assets and money (I did not show a lot of funds/ or assets in Canada and YES I did NOT submit any STATEMENTS AT ALL)
5. Employment letter demonstrating my start date, duration of employment, salary and my duties and responsibilities (this part is optional but I used the same format such as the letter for Canadian Experience Class)
6. Summary of all assets prepared by Chartered Accountant by the sponsors (I asked my MOM and DAD to sponsor my wife with all their assets and money in India and they demonstrated a lot of assets in India than what I had in Canada)

7. Letter of invitation from me to my wife asking her to come and stay with me in Canada and I highlighted few things:

• We will depart Canada at the expiry of my current work permit
  • I will provide food, shelter and pay for the round trip tickets between Canada and India

8. Request letter from me to the visa officer (also known as cover letter) and I highlighted a few things in that letter such as:

• A checklist about the proof of funds and other documents you've attached to your current application
  • I also "promised" to leave along with my wife before the expiry of my current work permit
9. Request letter from my wife to the visa officer requesting her to grant visa and expressing interest how she would like to spend time with her husband after marriage and again "promising" the officer that she will not overstay in Canada and will return to India well in advance.
10. Photographs with date and place at the back
11. Her original passport
12. You have to submit a copy of your current work permit
13. Pay stubs of last 3-4 months (Recent ones)
14. Notice of Assessment for the previous year
15. I think I also submitted photocopies of my entry visa to Canada and bio data pages of my passport

I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY CURRENT PR APPLICATION BEING IN PROCESS!

PLEASE GO THROUGH THE CHECKLIST ON THE CIC WEBSITE AND ADD WHATEVER STUFF THAT I MENTIONED ABOVE. I TYPED THE ABOVE CHECKLIST FROM WHAT I COULD REMEMBER AT THE MOMENT. BUT YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY REFER TO CIC'S CHECKLIST!!!

We submitted the documents at VFS and she got her passport in courier within 3 business days and NO medicals.

vijayarr

Apr 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-05-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
sekarchinna said:
Hi Vijayarr and Orgchem, I am on the same position as you guys were... COuld you send me a link on the applications to be filled and the documents to be submitted from my side...and any suggestions to apply successfully,,,,

Im on workpermit which expires on june 2015 and i'm getting married on may this year...My PR application is in process, filed on Aug 30,,,...I would appriciate if you guys give some advice on documents to be submitted and application, as you guys done the process successfully..

Thank you!!!
If you were wondering on how to apply for visitor visa for your spouse please refer to my post above but if you were wondering about the documents that you should be adding to an existing PR application then here you go:

Please follow the below instructions as additional documents are required to continue the processing of your application.

(A) If your spouse or common/law partner is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada:
You must submit the following document:
· Certificate of marriage or proof of common/law partnership
· Copy of proof of Canadian status (copy of permanent resident card, card of Canadian citizenship card and/or Canadian birth certificate)

No medical examination or processing fee will be required.

(B) If your spouse is not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, he/she must submit the following documents whether he/she will accompany you to Canada or not:

· Copy of the bio-data his/her pages of current valid passport

Completed application forms (enclosed):
· IMM 0008 Generic – All pages must be completed and page 5 signed by the principal applicant; pages 3-5 must show details of the newly added spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and all dependent children of principal applicant or spouse/partner.
· IMM 5669 Schedule A - to be completed by spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and all dependant children over age 18.
· IMM 5406 - to be completed by spouse, common-law or conjugal partner
· IMM 5409 - Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union if applicable

· Four CIC standard size photos (refer to following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp#appendixA)
· Copy of your marriage certificate if applicable
· Copy of his/ her birth certificate (legible)
· Police certificates from any country where he/she has resided for six months or more since age 18 (Refer to the CIC website
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
· Copy of divorce certificates/from any previous marriage(s)
o (If minor children are involved, custody documents must be included)

Note: The electronic version of these documents are available through the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

You must send these documents in hard copy (not via email) to the following address:
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
219 Laurier Avenue West
7th Floor Section B
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1
Canada

On receipt of these documents, your spouse will be added to your application as a non-accompanying dependant, and medical forms and instructions will be sent to you, in due course.

If your spouse intends to accompany you to Canada, you must pay the processing fee of 550.00 CAD for your spouse’s application.
This payment must be made online. Please consult the following link for complete instructions: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/welcome.do?lang=en

Once this office receives your payment for the processing fees, your spouse’s application status will be changed to an accompanying dependant.

Please also note that before a Permanent Resident Visa can be issued, every applicant and his/her spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who meets the admission requirements for permanent residence in Canada is required to pay a Right of Permanent Resident Fee (RPRF) in the amount of CAD 490.00.
CPP-Ottawa will request this fee at the appropriate stage in the processing of your application.

Regards,

gigoin

Mar 25, 2013
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
25-09-2015
I just got married and added my spouse to application.

I informed CIC about the change and they sent instructions to add spouse.

My spouse and me also considered her career prospects when doing this visitor visa/PR business. If you just get your spouse on a visitor visa and subsequent work permit it will be more difficult to get jobs.

So we in fact decided to get married and then I just got married 6 months earlier than planned and we move in together into Canada whenever both get PR together.

Well addition of spouse is going to cause me delays by a few months but I will be in a better position for her career with the PR done.

pkramsay

May 14, 2009
Hello Guys,

So glad that I found this post. I will be applying to CIC this week and I am planning to get married later this year. Since you all have gone through the process of adding your spouse to an existing application, I sincerely hope you will be able to help me. I have the post graduate work permit (good until Apr 2016) and my work is Skill level A or B. I actually have a pnp nomination (Sorry, I understand this is the wrong forum for my stream , but this discussion is the closest I found for adding spouse to an application). I will be applying to CIC this month, but I am getting married in September 2014. I plan to add my wife to my application at that time and hoping to bring her as a vistior/worker, soon after our wedding. Here are my questions:

1. Is 8 months (i.e., Feb to Sep) too long a time to add my spouse to the application (avg. processing time for my stream is 17 months)?
2. Is writing a cover letter to CIC, stating my intention to marry in Septemeber, a good idea? Will this help my case?(The cover letter/application will reach CIC in March probably).
3. How do I inform CIC of my marriage? through e-mail? (I understand the documents have to be Hardcopy only).
4. After I get married, what comes first? Informing CIC of my marriage or applying for my wife's visitor visa?
5. If my wife has to come to Canada, say or 2 or 3 months after wedding, which is a good option to apply? Vistor or Open-Work permit?

Thank you so much in advance and best wishes for those still awaiting a decision!!

Rachamalla

Mar 9, 2014
Hi all,

I need an advice ! I just filed my application on 6th of March ,2014! I think it is 13 months for my CEC processing !! I'm hoping that I'll have my landing done by April 2015 0r earlier! My work permit expires in July ,2015!

I'm planning to get married in coming months,not sure when ? But could be by sep 2nd week !! What if ,I add my spouse application after I send my Medicals? Or after they ask my passport ?Will it be ideal to do so?

What if I'm in INDIA ? When they ask me for Medicals?I have mentioned Canadian address !

Also,will I be able to get my Medicals done in India ? I'm assuming if I can get mine as well as my spouse Medicals done in India and then I'll file for my spouse by this September ,2014?? I mean upfront medical examination ! Is it wise to do so?

What if ,I apply sponsorship for my spouse after I get my PR! I heard that ,it would take 3 years if I sponsor my spouse after I get my PR?

please post ur feedback !
I appreciate your effort and time !!
thank you all!

VinnyToronto

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6 May 2013
Doc's Request.
21 Feb 2014
AOR Received.
21 June 2013
Med's Request
18 January 2014
Med's Done....
31 January 2014
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
21 March 2014
VISA ISSUED...
26 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Hello,

I would like recommend to people who include spouse later stages of PR application,

Nowadays CIC is sending additional documents request for these cases, so expect some kind of email and better ready with suuporting documents to prove your marriage is legal.

Here are the documents checklist.

1.marriage certificate.
2.traditional wedding pictures
3.post marriage pictures.
4.evidence of continues contact .. Phone bilk,Skype history, chat history etc
5.financial support documents,
6.traveling history with air tickets,hotel bill, etc