+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding my wife to my PR application that is in progress

firstQuestion

Mar 20, 2024
I got married while my PR application is in process. I am in the final decision of my pr application. I have completed background check and medical (i live in Canada). I recently got married and I have inform the IRCC of a status change from single to married. I also include my marriage certificate ( still waiting for IRCC response). Is there going to be a longer wait time?

Also, I went through OINP graduate stream to apply for my PR. I applied as a non-express entry as required by IRCC. My wife currently lives in quebec, and she is in the process of moving to Ontario ( as soon as she gets another job here). Will this affect anything if I added her to my application as a dependent (i mean her also getting PR with me). Will this affect my chance or her own due to her living in Quebec and not Ontario currently? Or is there any other things that can affect? Or is it just better and safer to do the spousal sponsorship later ( she really don't need me to get her PR as she will be qualified for many streams). Thanks in advance.

ViceVersa

Feb 5, 2024
Notifying IRCC of the change in status to married was definitely the right call. As for whether it will add time, it's hard to say for sure but it's possible. I'd expect they'll want documentation of your marriage to review your wife's eligibility as a dependent. Adding her likely won't negatively impact your application, but may slow things slightly as they process the new information. And the fact that she currently lives in Quebec rather than Ontario shouldn't be an issue as long as the plan is for her to move there soon once finding a job. If she's qualified on her own, spousal sponsorship down the road could also work.

firstQuestion

Mar 20, 2024
Notifying IRCC of the change in status to married was definitely the right call. As for whether it will add time, it's hard to say for sure but it's possible. I'd expect they'll want documentation of your marriage to review your wife's eligibility as a dependent. Adding her likely won't negatively impact your application, but may slow things slightly as they process the new information. And the fact that she currently lives in Quebec rather than Ontario shouldn't be an issue as long as the plan is for her to move there soon once finding a job. If she's qualified on her own, spousal sponsorship down the road could also work.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.