+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying Family Member short stay in Toronto before heading to our province?

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
My spouse is coming soon to land in Canada. I will be coming to receive her from the province I live in. We plan on staying in Toronto for a day or two before we head back to our province. She will have her connecting flight itinerary with her. I have already done my landing.

Will this halt for a day or two, to see Toronto, create any sort of problems for her ? I have my driving license from the province, + my health card and everything. I believe she should have no problems, but I don't want her to have a bad experience while landing. I would love to hear from you guys about this scenario.

These are excerpts from operational bulletin 251

BSOs may also choose to exercise the following options if they are not satisfied with respect to an individual's intention to reside in the nominating province/territory:

Offer the individual the option of voluntarily withdrawing their application for permanent residence. If this option is accepted by the applicant, the BSO should seize the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CPR) document and inform the issuing visa office and the appropriate CIC inland office in the province/territory of nomination.
If the applicant does not exercise the option to voluntarily withdraw their application for permanent residence, the BSO may adjourn the examination and, pursuant to section 23 of the IRPA, authorize the person to enter Canada for the purpose of further examination. As authorized under Item 102 of the CBSA Delegations and Designations [PDF format], the examination should be referred for finalization to the appropriate CIC inland office in the nominating province/territory. The BSO should seize the applicant's CPR document and forward it to the appropriate CIC inland office along with relevant case information (e.g., Statutory Declaration from the individual stating that they do not intend to reside in the province/territory of nomination, officer's interview notes). The CPR documents of accompanying family members should also be seized and forwarded to the appropriate CIC inland office.

In my case I am the PA who is already residing in the province which nominated me. I hope an Immigration officer does not suspect my wife of not going directly to the province. Clearly, I just want her to show Toronto for a day or two. Which means we have clear intention of staying in the province that nominated us, also if the PA has already landed then the dependent should not have a problem, is that right ?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That should not be a problem. The PoE is Toronto (YYZ but that does not mean it is the intended destination. The officer will verify the details as listed on the CoPR and will also ask your spouse to verify the address to where the PR card will be sent - which in this case should be located in the province where you are residing now. This ties with your current residence and should minimize doubt on the examining officer on intent. That should be enough.

It does not hurt for her to have your contact details, a number to which you can be contacted immediately (mobile number), and other documents (such as her continuing itinerary) should additional checks be done, but this is worst case. If she is asked if she is travelling onward to the province immediately, then she can volunteer the information as you described - you are waiting for her at the airport, and the plan is a layover for a few days to visit the sights in the city, and will go to the province on said date - proof of which is the onward plane tickets and itinerary.

Cheers!