+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceptance letter to Public school in Quebec has estimated tuition fee of 6k cad

Bernardox2

Oct 12, 2023
Hi there!

I hold a temporary worker visa and my child is on student visa. I registered my 10 year old child through a French School of Board in Montreal (website) and received an acceptance letter to a Public Primary school near our place. The Letter of Acceptance shows an estimated tuition fee of 6,000+ cad (not even a full term as we are about to enter mid school year). Anyone knows if there's recent change regarding tuition fee in Public school in Quebec? I thought Public school is meant to be free from Kindergarten to Primary public school regardless of residency status. All my colleagues and friends with the same status as mine only pays 90 cad a year. Anyone recently have the same experience if this is the new norm?

I'm unable to contact both School and Board at the moment due to holiday and strike to clarify this. BTW, my child's status on the letter is Foreign Student not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi there!

I hold a temporary worker visa and my child is on student visa. I registered my 10 year old child through a French School of Board in Montreal (website) and received an acceptance letter to a Public Primary school near our place. The Letter of Acceptance shows an estimated tuition fee of 6,000+ cad (not even a full term as we are about to enter mid school year). Anyone knows if there's recent change regarding tuition fee in Public school in Quebec? I thought Public school is meant to be free from Kindergarten to Primary public school regardless of residency status. All my colleagues and friends with the same status as mine only pays 90 cad a year. Anyone recently have the same experience if this is the new norm?

I'm unable to contact both School and Board at the moment due to holiday and strike to clarify this. BTW, my child's status on the letter is Foreign Student not sure if that matters.

Thanks!
I think it is the foreign student status

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there!

Thanks!
Do your child have a CAQ?

Reactions: foodie69