+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About the money I bring with me...

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am planning to Land at Vancouver Airport on Dec 18th. My question with my money is that I know that I will have to declare a casheirs check (in USD) of over $10,000. I also will have on my person a small amount of CAD coins and currency that I saved from a previous trip to Canada in August. Do I have to declare this coin and currency as well and combine it for a total amount? or are each item handled separately (Check, coin, and currency)?

If I get time after I land, I will try to post my landing experience.

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Disclosure of funds

If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

* cash
* securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
* negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

When you land at the airport there will be an immigration official who will be checking your form . He will ask you how much you are bringing with you & you just tell him the amount . He will note this amt. on a form .

Even if he doesn't ask you and the amount is more than $ 10,000 you should voluntarily disclose it on your own . If the amount is less than $ 10,000 & the immigration officer doesn't ask you then you don't have to disclose the amount.

There is no restriction on you moving the funds back & forth between Canada & some other country . Just don't move more than $ 10,000 in a 24 hr period due to the anti-money laundering law .

http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/reporting-declaration/Info/rptEFT-eng.asp

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
just mention the currency you have + Canadian coins. it will not make it worse.