+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Changing School

polipeptit

Star Member
Aug 24, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a question about changing schools. I already have study and work permit paper. I'm in my country now (outside Canada). I want to change my school but confused. In visa application web page they say you can change your school by "student: transfer schools". I've submitted web form via e-mail and explain my situation. But they replied this:

"Dear Applicant,

This refers to your e-mail below.

Kindly find the necessary information below:

Requests to change DLIs after applying for a study permit

Outside Canada

Students may request to change their DLI prior to entering Canada if their visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) has not yet been approved by IRCC.

If the student changed their DLI after submitting their study permit application and the application is still in progress, the student may submit their new letter of acceptance via the IRCC Web form.

If their visa or eTA has already been approved, the student should submit a new application and pay the appropriate fees online or at the visa application centre.

Inside Canada

Students engaging in post-secondary studies in Canada may transfer between institutions (both public and private) or change their course or program of study without applying for a change to the condition of their study permit, as long as the receiving institution is a DLI.

Students should notify IRCC through their MyAccount when they transfer to another DLI.

Students who transfer to a DLI that doesn’t have an approved COVID-19 readiness plan and decide to leave Canada may not be able to return because their DLI is not on the approved list.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind Regards,
"

I really don't understand why I can't use "student: transfer schools". They said I should submit new application. Has anyone experienced my situation before?

Last edited:

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a question about changing schools. I already have study and work permit paper. I'm in my country now (outside Canada). I want to change my school but confused. In visa application web page they say you can change your school by "student: transfer schools". I've submitted web form via e-mail and explain my situation. But they replied this:

"Dear Applicant,

This refers to your e-mail below.

Kindly find the necessary information below:

Requests to change DLIs after applying for a study permit

Outside Canada

Students may request to change their DLI prior to entering Canada if their visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) has not yet been approved by IRCC.

If the student changed their DLI after submitting their study permit application and the application is still in progress, the student may submit their new letter of acceptance via the IRCC Web form.

If their visa or eTA has already been approved, the student should submit a new application and pay the appropriate fees online or at the visa application centre.

Inside Canada

Students engaging in post-secondary studies in Canada may transfer between institutions (both public and private) or change their course or program of study without applying for a change to the condition of their study permit, as long as the receiving institution is a DLI.

Students should notify IRCC through their MyAccount when they transfer to another DLI.

Students who transfer to a DLI that doesn’t have an approved COVID-19 readiness plan and decide to leave Canada may not be able to return because their DLI is not on the approved list.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind Regards,
"

I really don't understand why I can't use "student: transfer schools". They said I should submit new application. Has anyone experienced my situation before?
Because you're not inside Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can i change it with the new admission letter at the port of entry but I’ll also show them the old admission
If it is a new school and you have not studied at the school where you got your study permit, then you need a new study permit.

zico02

Sep 26, 2021
I have to study in the school I used for my visa first before I’ll be able to change schools even if I am inside Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have to study in the school I used for my visa first before I’ll be able to change schools even if I am inside Canada
Yes. You need to be ”actively studying” so a semester or a year, and then put in a request to change school.s