+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Question on Criminal Inadmissability

Kay-AB

Jun 1, 2010
My friend's husband (the family is from Korea) has the following two issues, which may affect criminal inadmissability. Any advise from senior expert members would be appreciated.

(i) My friend's husband had a run-in with law about 20 years ago in Korea - he had a fight with a neighbor. The neighbor sued him for injury, but settled later for monetary compensation.

(ii) He had a serious argument with a traffic police in Korea in 2002 on issue related to wearing the seat belt - he was indicted for obstruction of practice by the police - 10 months of prison sentence/ two years of probationary period (meaning he did not have to actually spend time in prison)/ 80 hours of community work, which he completed.

His police certificate from Korea shows both (i) and (ii) exactly as they happened and as sentenced. His wife (my friend) is applying for a PR via PNP; that is, she is the principal applicant and he's the accompanying spouse. They have two teenaged children.

Question:
1. Do his offences in (i) and (ii) provide sufficient ground for inadmissability?
1. He is wondering whether his criminal record may be deemed inadmissable and block the whole family (wife and their two children) or just him?

Please advise. Thank you.