+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A legal name change after receiving Citizenship Certificate

hiren1334

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hi

Sorry for the delay response. Till date i havent applied for New citizenship certificate. My order were as follows:

Oath ceremony → received Citizenship certificate (within 2 weeks) → Applied for name change → Received Name Change Document (6 weeks) → Updated names in Driving License, Health Card and SIN document (witnin15 days new ID's were issued) → Applied for Canadian passport (using new IDs, Name Change Document and Citizenship Certificate ) → received Canadian passport with new name.

Used the same new IDs, Name Change document and citizenship certificate to get visa for home country.

No questions asked nor flagged anywhere why citizenship certificate is not reflecting new name.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Prasanna
Hello Prasanna, what documents did you submitted for name change request? Once you get name change certificate, did you do any changes in your indian birth certificate or it doesn't matter once you get Canadian citizenship? Please guide.

Namechange

Mar 18, 2024
I see what you mean. Yes, I will be applying for New Citizenship Certificate once I have a new passport with the new name. I wasn't sure if I had to wait for an updated Citizenship Certificate and then apply for a new passport, which will be 15+ months to get a passport with new name.
Hi , I’m in a similar situation and figuring out the steps I should be following. My questions are as below
1) how much time did it take for legal name change with service Ontario?
2) after we get citizenship certificate, how much time do we have to apply for passport. I’m trying to see if legal name change and passport application process timelines can be aligned
3) during name change in passport did you supply the citizenship certificate (old name) and name change and got your passport with new name?
4) what docs does OCI refer to? Passport or citizenship certificate

thanks in advance