+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few questions about Proof of Means of Financial Support for Online Application

Frank A

May 24, 2016
Hello all,
This is my first post in this forum.

I'm planning to travel to Canada for two weeks this summer, and I've almost completed my online application. However, I have some questions about what documents are acceptable as Proof of means of Financial Support:
I'm a student and depend on someone financially. I have specified this when filling my forms and in the questionnaire at the beginning. So my application requires me to upload two different document types: Proof of Means of Financial Support, and Proof of Means of Financial Support of the Supporter.
  • Is it acceptable if I upload the same documents twice? If not, what alternatives do I have?
  • Is it ok if my Proof of Means of Financial Support is from bank accounts that are not under my name (but under my supporter's name, from whom I already have a letter of financial support)? If it is, do I need to include the letter of support in both sections?
  • Do the bank statements need to be from a debit bank account, or can I use, for example, the balance of an American Express credit card (with more than enough credit to cover my expenses in Canada) as proof?
  • I have pre-paid some of my expenses, and I have proof of those. Should I include them, even if I have already uploaded them in the Purpose of Travel section?
Thanks in advance :)

Frank.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Frank A said:
  • Is it acceptable if I upload the same documents twice? If not, what alternatives do I have?
No. Upload a letter explaining why you do not have such document.

The best is that you have money of your own. Your supporter is just that "a support", which by no means implies that it will be given as much importance as yours. So a transfer of money to your account is the best way to go. The supporter can tell where, how and why the money was transfered and you can show the money as your own.

Frank A said:
  • Is it ok if my Proof of Means of Financial Support is from bank accounts that are not under my name (but under my supporter's name, from whom I already have a letter of financial support)? If it is, do I need to include the letter of support in both sections?
NO

Frank A said:
  • Do the bank statements need to be from a debit bank account, or can I use, for example, the balance of an American Express credit card (with more than enough credit to cover my expenses in Canada) as proof?
If you cannot show anything else, then yes.

Frank A said:
  • I have pre-paid some of my expenses, and I have proof of those. Should I include them, even if I have already uploaded them in the Purpose of Travel section?
No. Do not be redundant.

Frank A

May 24, 2016
Thank you a lot, your response was very helpfull. You just saved me from getting my application rejected.
I'll make sure not to be redundant and to submit the proper documents.

Again, thank you :D