+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am permanent resident of Canada, married and my husband is Canadian. We have a 2 year old and we receive child benefit for him every month, my husband is currently listed as the primary caregiver.

I came on vacation in December to my home country of the UK, as I needed a break from my husband and his parents we all had a fight. My husband booked the ticket and allowed me
To travel with our son.

I am still here and have decided to stay longer, possibly the whole year.
How would this effect the child benefit? I want to put it in my name as the primary caregiver but my husband refused and said it’s complicated and it’s easier for him to transfer me the money every month..it seems shady to me.?

I don’t have much knowledge about taxes, or how how benefits are calculated but I feel like if we’re classed as separated then will that make things more complicated?

sorry for all the questions I’m just confused

I still have residential ties in Canada, and I will be going back just not yet, so would I still be eligible for child benefit ? And can you claim in both countries in the Uk and Canada ? As I heard Theres an agreement in both counties

Thanks
Your husband was supposed to tell CRA that your child is no longer in Canada. They determine if he is still entitled to CCB. Given your child’s ling absence it is very important that he inform CRA (or you inform CRA) that your child is no longer staying with him and is out of the country. If he doesn’t that is tax fraud. He is likely receiving benefits that he is not entitled to and will have to pay back with interest. You certainly can’t claim child benefit in both countries.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Your husband was supposed to tell CRA that your child is no longer in Canada. They determine if he is still entitled to CCB. Given your child’s ling absence it is very important that he inform CRA (or you inform CRA) that your child is no longer staying with him and is out of the country. If he doesn’t that is tax fraud. He is likely receiving benefits that he is not entitled to and will have to pay back with interest. You certainly can’t claim child benefit in both countries.
You usually cannot delete threads or people’s comments. You can try yourself to delete comments.
Bottom line your husband is committing tax fraud and must inform CRA ASAP that child has been out of the country for so long.