+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 Months Short of PR Obligation - Need to go for full settlement - Will I be reported ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I believe CBSA will do their job, but there are some virus carrier has no any symptoms when they arrive and they are possible to pass the screening. otherwise recently confirmed cases in Canada (flight back from Iran or Italy) would be identified at air ports
Sure CBSA will wear gloves and will try to keep some distance. Sure CBSA knows that during big issues there may be more attempts to try to get things through CBSA. Sure they are on the lookout for more smuggling and other things because criminals may expect them to be too distracted. CBSA does plan for these things.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . what i meant was currently I ASSUME border officers may tend to ask "less" RO questions, and more travel history questions than usual.
Enforcement priorities do indeed vary . . . sometimes this appears to be PoE specific, other times it appears to be a broader policy practice. Sometimes this seems to be largely about the-question-of-the-day, other times it appears to be about the-question-of-the-week, or the month. I suppose this is among the "luck" factors others often refer to. That is, is RO enforcement a priority line of questioning the particular week a PR-in-RO-breach returns to Canada?

And sure, for the next while and perhaps a long while (Covid-19 is just beginning its global migration, and is likely to be a big factor in life for at least the rest of the year and into next year) there will be greater focus on factors related to screening travelers for infectious conditions.

BUT as others aptly emphasize, this is NOT likely to detract from standard screening practices otherwise. Moreover, the elevated focus on "travel history" may even facilitate recognizing factors for which there will be RO compliance related concerns. Traveler numbers are already down, as well, which may facilitate closer screening. That is, its possible the situation could actually increase the RISKs for the PR-in-RO-breach upon arrival at a PoE.

I am not suggesting that going forward the PR-in-RO-breach is actually going to encounter elevated RO compliance scrutiny upon arrival, but rather that that is just as possible as the contrary, that is it might be more risky or it might be easier for the PR-in-RO-breach to return to Canada with less risk of being Reported at the PoE.

Overall, forecasting how it will go for the PR-in-RO-breach upon arrival at a PoE is at best a wild guess, EXCEPT to reiterate what we do know: when the PR-in-RO-breach arrives at a PoE there is always a substantial RISK of being Reported. That will continue to be the case. Odd thing, perhaps, CBSA having a mandate to actually enforce the law, being a part of the Department of Public Safety and all.

Reactions: canuck78