+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021, Is there a U-turn spot(s) at the BC borders?

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
I have a bit of a situation right now where I have to head back to the US, trying to do this via land.
Do any of you know if there is a spot where Americans can U-turn at the Border, pick me up and then drive down towards the US and cross? (All US passports if that matters).

I know theres a U-turn for people who cross by mistake, but I wonder if they could pick up, load up luggage and then go back to the US

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No. They would need to clear customs. Or you'd need to cross into the US and have them meet you there, after you clear customs.

What you're asking is if someone from the US can enter Canada but not enter Canada and pick you up. Not going to happen the way you think. One of you needs to join the others in another country before they can turn around.

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
No. They would need to clear customs. Or you'd need to cross into the US and have them meet you there, after you clear customs.

What you're asking is if someone from the US can enter Canada but not enter Canada and pick you up. Not going to happen the way you think. One of you needs to join the others in another country before they can turn around.
So I agree with you but then I watched this video :
(thats the moment she reaches the border)

The YT lady, had her sister wait for her and pick her up and it seems like the sister did not "enter" canada or maybe something else is happening here(?) Because this is the exact scenario that I am hoping to achieve out in BC

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
So I agree with you but then I watched this video :
(thats the moment she reaches the border)

The YT lady, had her sister wait for her and pick her up and it seems like the sister did not "enter" canada or maybe something else is happening here(?) Because this is the exact scenario that I am hoping to achieve out in BC
It won't work this way in BC. You cross through customs in the US after you cross the physical border. Same with physically crossing the border into Canada before you enter customs. The only places you can turn around are places where you get sent to have a nice conversation with the people with machine guns.

If it were to work the way you're thinking, that they could pick you up without entering Canada, you'd have never entered the US.

Look at the Peace Arch border and tell me where you can U-Turn before Canada customs with you having entered Canada: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.0028538,-122.7580489,902m/data=!3m1!1e3

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
It won't work this way in BC. You cross through customs in the US after you cross the physical border. Same with physically crossing the border into Canada before you enter customs. The only places you can turn around are places where you get sent to have a nice conversation with the people with machine guns.

If it were to work the way you're thinking, that they could pick you up without entering Canada, you'd have never entered the US.

Look at the Peace Arch border and tell me where you can U-Turn before Canada customs with you having entered Canada: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.0028538,-122.7580489,902m/data=!3m1!1e3
Ahh good to know this is what i was wondering as well. To answer your question, I guess this was what I was hopeing: https://goo.gl/maps/JKLtPkAhAW2VNdYp6
like the last U turn before seen an Agent. crazy that Montreal has this but we dont.

Due to covid this is why I am trying to figure out a way to have a family member pick me up but I worry they wont let them into canada even if just for a few minutes.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ahh good to know this is what i was wondering as well. To answer your question, I guess this was what I was hopeing: https://goo.gl/maps/JKLtPkAhAW2VNdYp6
like the last U turn before seen an Agent. crazy that Montreal has this but we dont.

Due to covid this is why I am trying to figure out a way to have a family member pick me up but I worry they wont let them into canada even if just for a few minutes.
That road not for use by you, and it's also inside Canada. Your driver would have to go back through US customs and try to explain to the US CBP that they'd left the USA but not entered Canada. Would be a great way to make everything complicated quickly. If your driver were to enter Canada (by crossing the border south of that road) and then try to leave without going through Canada Customs, it would quickly become an international incident.

They can wait for you in the US. You can enter the US and then meet them on the other side.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
And no, Montreal has no facilities that allow someone to enter Canada, pick up someone, and then not go through Customs. They cannot turn around and pick up someone in Canada without going through US Customs, at which point there's going to be a lot of explaining about how they entered but didn't enter Canada.

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
And no, Montreal has no facilities that allow someone to enter Canada, pick up someone, and then not go through Customs. They cannot turn around and pick up someone in Canada without going through US Customs, at which point there's going to be a lot of explaining about how they entered but didn't enter Canada.
So how did this girl pick up her sister on the canadian side?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
So how did this girl pick up her sister on the canadian side?
This is the border in question: https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+Customs+and+Border+Protection+-+Champlain+Port+of+Entry/@45.0097544,-73.4521246,229m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf3060eeeaddcefe4!8m2!3d45.0065449!4d-73.4532088

This person's sister entered Canada to pick up her sister. You can hear the interview where they entered the US at the end of the video. The sister explains that she has been outside of the US for ten minutes.

This wouldn't be possible in COVID.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thats the thing, it happen during covid!
still. the sister from the US entered Canada. Went to Canada Customs. Got in the car. Drove back through US customs.

While in Canada, she was parked at the CBSA car inspection station. Then went back to the USA.

If your family is willing to try it, maybe they'll get a good reception USCBP and CBSA. No idea.