+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2017 tax return for citizenship

lrxsss

Oct 11, 2012
I am planning to send my application tomorrow but at the last moment I found something I may need to consider.

I haven't filed my income tax for 2017 yet so I selected "not filed" for 2017 tax for the question 12 in the application form. I have filed my income tax for the other four years, namely 2013-2016.

I am kind of worried about this situation because in the application form, it requires the applicant to update the IRCC if any information provided in the application form changes. I will definitely file the my 2017 income tax before April 30th, 2018. So in May my 2017 income tax will be in the status of "filed", which will result in a change of information I provided in the original form. Technically speaking I need to inform IRCC about this change of income tax filing. However, I don't want to do that because I think it will cause delays.

My question is, do I really need to update IRCC in May that I have filed my income tax for 2017 and my answer to the 2017 income tax filing should be changed? I feel this is an unnecessary move, After all, they can get that information from CRA directly.

Thank you for reading my question, any comment is appreciated.