+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

18 Year Old Looking to Immigrate

sessava

Nov 3, 2010
Hi, I am an 18 year old high school graduate currently living in the United States. Since I was little, I've always wanted to live somewhere else, and I have always loved the cold. After much research and debate over the past few years, I have finally decided on moving to Canada. This research has shown me, however, that it is actually rather hard to immigrate there. From what I have seen, my only choice at the moment is to immediately head to college here, get a bachelor's degree, and then get a job for four years. My impression is that this will then allow me to apply for immigration after these four years are up, travel to Canada, and find an employer, who could then sponsor me to move out there. During these four years I would also be able to build up a large net of funds in order to pay for the move out there.

I didn't try hard enough in high school to earn a scholarship to a Canadian university for studying over there, so my question is am I right in assuming that my plan is the quickest way for me to possibly be able to move to Canada? Or would my plan not work at all?

I currently have my heart set on British Columbia, specifically Vancouver, and would appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thanks. :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you love the cold, consider to set your heart in Alberta, such as Calgary or Edmonton. Vancouver is one of the most mildest in the country.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vancouver is arguably the most expensive city to live in on the continent. The cost of housing is incredibly high.

sessava

Nov 3, 2010
Thanks for the advice mates, but I couldn't stand to live in a landlocked province. And I currently live in Texas, so I think *anything* would be an upgrade in terms of cold.

I'm more set on the British Columbia province as a whole than I am on Vancouver specifically, thanks for letting me know about the high cost of living.

I was asking more about the immigration process in general and whether or not my plan would work though, so any light anyone could shed on this would be much appreciated. :D

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you really couldn't stand to live in a landlocked province and can live with the cold, here are some other provinces you can consider also: Quebec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland

Here's a link for immigrating to Quebec: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html
For NS, BC and Newfoundland, read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Why not take some time to travel around Canada, see as much of it as you can, and maybe make some friends and contacts?

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think there are student work visas available that aren't too impossible to get, for 6 months or a year, that might be a good idea.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I admire your spirit of adventure and BC is certainly a beautiful province to live in. It is a large province and you can find hot and cold areas to satisfy any taste. Take into consideration the cost of a Canadian education when you are making your decisions. A programme that might cost a Canadian under $4,000 may be close to $20,000 per year and you will have to show that you have adequate funds to pay for education and support. I think the idea of coming to Canada on a working holiday is an excellent start and a way to get some Canadian experience for your resume. Good Luck.