+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

#15 / IMM0008; residing in other country over 6 months?

zimbub

Sep 25, 2013
Is this is talking about being in another country for more than 6 months IN SUCCESSION? Or over 6 months in total over years, whether in succession or not?

I am the dependant in question (Canadian spouse of my Mexican husband)
I have been on and off living in mexico for over a year. I have definitely spent more than 6 months here in the last year, but not consecutively.

I don't want to answer this wrong and be "misrepresenting!!" Help!

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
The form IMM0008 needs to be filed out by the principal applicant (immigrant) and NOT the sponsor (Canadian citizen or PR of Canada).

If you are the Canadian spouse and your husband (Mexican) is being sponsored by you, then your husband needs to fill out the form.

If you are the Mexican husband and you are being sponsored by your Canadian wife, then you must answer "yes" to that question. Questions no. 12 on IMM0008 asks if you have lived in the past five years in any country other the country of nationality or country of residence for more than six months. It does not say for more than 6 consecutive months.

zimbub

Sep 25, 2013
He is filling out the form himself, as the applicant, but is asking me for the info........and the fact is, I have been in mexico off and on, but not there more than 6 months in one visit.

If you add up the total of months though, it does work out to more than 6, just not all in a row.

So let me know if I understand you correctly, he must put yes, even if I have not been there 6 months in a row?

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
The question is not about you, the Canadian spouse, the question is about your husband. Has your Mexican husband (the immigrant) lived in any other country (except his country of nationality and residence) for more than 6 months?

It doesn't matter if you, the sponsor, lived in other country. The IMM0008 form is for the immigrant. He needs to answer the question about himself, not his spouse.

zimbub

Sep 25, 2013
I am a little confused, as this section appears to be a continuation of information about the dependants and not the applicant.
For example, there is the applicants information from number's 1 - 14.
Then his contact information from 1- 6
Then his passport
Then his identity card
education
and finally language detail

Then it asks about me, his dependant (spouse)
And it is in this category where the question 15 is.
It continues with repeating the same personal questions for me, as it asked for him........and it goes to the end of the application where he signs his consent, signature, date.

If this is about him, where is the place it changes to being about him again?

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps make it more clear

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
zimbub said:
I am a little confused, as this section appears to be a continuation of information about the dependants and not the applicant.
For example, there is the applicants information from number's 1 - 14.
Then his contact information from 1- 6
Then his passport
Then his identity card
education
and finally language detail

Then it asks about me, his dependant (spouse)
And it is in this category where the question 15 is.
It continues with repeating the same personal questions for me, as it asked for him........and it goes to the end of the application where he signs his consent, signature, date.

If this is about him, where is the place it changes to being about him again?

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps make it more clear
Oh, now I understand which section you mean, but he doesn't have to include you. This is a general immigration form, it is not specifically aimed at spouse sponsorship.
The dependant section refers to: spouse, children, common law partener and children of spouse or common law partner who are NOT Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

He doesn't have to complete this for you, because you are a Canadian citizen. He must complete it only if he has dependant children that are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. Look up the CIC definition of "dependant"

Click on "remove dependant" to get rid of that last part if it doesn't apply to you.

This applies to the spouse only if the applicant is immigrating to Canada through, for example, the skilled worker category or any category that is not spouse sponsorship. Like I said before, this is a generalized form, some parts to not apply to all categories or to all cases.