+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

12 hour transit in Toronto.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
hi guys,

I will be landing in Toronto very soon, and will have a 12 hour transit before moving on to Nova Scotia. This will be my first time in Canada, and I would like to make use of these 12 hours in Toronto. Waiting at the airport for 12 hours is just way too much.

Can anyone please advise me of a place(s) to go? Or of a place(s) to visit during these 12 hours? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
hossamo33 said:
hi guys,

I will be landing in Toronto very soon, and will have a 12 hour transit before moving on to Nova Scotia. This will be my first time in Canada, and I would like to make use of these 12 hours in Toronto. Waiting at the airport for 12 hours is just way too much.

Can anyone please advise me of a place(s) to go? Or of a place(s) to visit during these 12 hours? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
You could take the Union Pearson Express into the downtown core (I think it costs $9 per person now). After that, you can walk around, see some tourist sites (CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, etc.) or just explore the city. There are plenty of restaurants and shops to look at, and you could also walk around and check out different areas.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
torontosm said:
You could take the Union Pearson Express into the downtown core (I think it costs $9 per person now). After that, you can walk around, see some tourist sites (CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, etc.) or just explore the city. There are plenty of restaurants and shops to look at, and you could also walk around and check out different areas.
So I can take that Union Pearson Express from the airport?

Thank you for the suggestion!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Cheapest way is taking the 192 Rocket (bus) from the airport to Kipling station (can't miss it) which is $3.25. From Kipling you can get downtown - same ticket takes you onto the subway.
Kipling to Yonge is 30-35 mins, down to Union is about 10 mins normally. The Union express bus is faster I believe, though last I knew it was about $30.

CN Tower and Ripleys are both extremely overpriced and not that great in my opinion (note; I've done the CN tower twice day and night and was disappointed both times, I've not done Ripleys but have only heard negative reviews). The zoo is meant to be very good but is a heck of a trek on public transport.

Depending upon exactly when you land the High Park blossoms are meant to be out early this year and a of people like that. It's also quite a decent park (400 acres) generally. There's a little zoo (not amazing though) in the bottom areas. That's either Kipling->High Park TTC @ 15 minutes (plus bus to Kipling, 20-45 mins depending upon time/traffic) or Union->Yonge->High Park (30 mins). Or it's $45 by taxi from Pearson, that's standard rate without tip.

But personally, if it were me ... I'd hire a car and drive to Niagara. It's only about 1.5h from the airport. It's far too commercial for my liking now, but still worth a visit. Again at this time of year I'm not sure which attractions - maid of the mist etc... - are running. You can bus it to Niagara but you'd need to head downtown first and especially at this time of year I wouldn't want to risk the connections.

What are you planning on doing with your checked luggage for these 12 hours? Most airlines have a 4h checkin limit (Air Canada does). For me that's +1 on the car option ;)

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
jc94 said:
Cheapest way is taking the 192 Rocket (bus) from the airport to Kipling station (can't miss it) which is $3.25. From Kipling you can get downtown - same ticket takes you onto the subway.
Kipling to Yonge is 30-35 mins, down to Union is about 10 mins normally. The Union express bus is faster I believe, though last I knew it was about $30.

CN Tower and Ripleys are both extremely overpriced and not that great in my opinion (note; I've done the CN tower twice day and night and was disappointed both times, I've not done Ripleys but have only heard negative reviews). The zoo is meant to be very good but is a heck of a trek on public transport.

Depending upon exactly when you land the High Park blossoms are meant to be out early this year and a of people like that. It's also quite a decent park (400 acres) generally. There's a little zoo (not amazing though) in the bottom areas. That's either Kipling->High Park TTC @ 15 minutes (plus bus to Kipling, 20-45 mins depending upon time/traffic) or Union->Yonge->High Park (30 mins). Or it's $45 by taxi from Pearson, that's standard rate without tip.

But personally, if it were me ... I'd hire a car and drive to Niagara. It's only about 1.5h from the airport. It's far too commercial for my liking now, but still worth a visit. Again at this time of year I'm not sure which attractions - maid of the mist etc... - are running. You can bus it to Niagara but you'd need to head downtown first and especially at this time of year I wouldn't want to risk the connections.

What are you planning on doing with your checked luggage for these 12 hours? Most airlines have a 4h checkin limit (Air Canada does). For me that's +1 on the car option ;)
Thank you very much for the advice! The High Park option sounds good!

Im giong to be carrying just one bag, and a backpack. I suppose it wont be that hard to carry them around. I'm still not sure yet.

I can't wait though!! :D

Thank you all.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
CN Tower and Ripleys are both overpriced and a rip off. CN Tower is still an option as you could see the city and beyond from a great height.
Stay away from Ripleys at any cost. I have been there and it was a total waste. In and around downtown, you could go to High Park, Toronto Islands or just take a stroll along the lake shore. Another option is Niagara, as people have suggested. A trip using public transport (Go trains and buses) will cost around 16-18$ one way and take around 2.5 hours (Union to Niagara). There are trains from Union every 30 minutes or so.
P.S. Just to add, Toronto skyline looks amazing when seen from Toronto Islands.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Toronto Island is okay, definitely some good shots back to the skyline, I stopped short on suggesting it as the ferry can add a fair bit of time to the day and I'm not sure if they are massively reliable. While it was okay, I've only actually been there once :) It's also significantly cooler there vs "the mainland".

If you end up going to High Park let me know if you want company if it's a weekend ;)

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you all for your advice!! I will definately make use of your thoughts once I get there!

One more question though regarding the driver's license. As I understand, I need a letter from the driving school/traffic in my current country of residence that will state the duration of my driving experience. This letter can be used to go straight for the driver's license test. Anyway, the issue I am facing, is that the driving school/traffic dont issue such letters. When I asked, they said you have your driver's license which has the issue and expiry dates, that should be enough! Can I use my current driver's license from my home country to prove that I have experience in driving? How about an international driver's license? Will that help too? What should I do in my case?

Again, thank you all in advance!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
If your license is eligible they'll transfer it for about $80 after checking you can see a sign a few meters away.

You can drive for 6 month or a year on an international license, foreign (non-US) licenses are good for 2 months I believe but that may vary by province.
As far as I know, if you need to take the test you can just take the test. You pay per time so they don't make you take lessons or anything first.

Here are the Ontario rules: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx
It sounds like if you want to just transfer it, depending upon what license it is, you could need more details. I'd assume the govt. (or driving body) has to issue this, rather than a driving school?

For NS, it sounds like 90 days and again depends on where you are from: https://www.novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/paal269.asp

I don't know for sure outside GB residents in Ontario though sorry!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
hossamo33 said:
Thank you all for your advice!! I will definately make use of your thoughts once I get there!

One more question though regarding the driver's license. As I understand, I need a letter from the driving school/traffic in my current country of residence that will state the duration of my driving experience. This letter can be used to go straight for the driver's license test. Anyway, the issue I am facing, is that the driving school/traffic dont issue such letters. When I asked, they said you have your driver's license which has the issue and expiry dates, that should be enough! Can I use my current driver's license from my home country to prove that I have experience in driving? How about an international driver's license? Will that help too? What should I do in my case?

Again, thank you all in advance!
Every province have different rules but in Alberta for myself was enough my country's driver license (plus international driver license) which shows issued and expires dates.

You should get a International Driver License before let your country.