+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I am a Canadian PR living in Vancouver since 2021. I am taking a new role in my company and that will be based out of Seattle on H1B

My plan is to keep my Vancouver condo(my spouse, kids stay in Vancouver), and I would be driving to Seattle Monday morning and driving back to Vancouver on Thursday Evening. I have nexus so border crossing wont be a lot of pain. I will also be renting a small studio apartment in Seattle to crash Monday to Thursday.

The reason I would be doing this is I am not yet ready to move my family to Seattle(kids are set in good daycares, and in a good neighborhood) and we are literally 4 months away from our citizenship eligibility.

What I am not sure is if
1. Would I have to give up my BC driving license and get a Washington state driving license. Technically I would still be a Vancouver resident.
2. Do I need to register my car in Washington state or can keep traveling back and forth while keeping my BC license plate.

has anyone done this before. If yes, could you share your experience.
1. No
2. No

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
arghyadip said:
I am a Canadian PR living in Vancouver since 2021. I am taking a new role in my company and that will be based out of Seattle on H1B

My plan is to keep my Vancouver condo(my spouse, kids stay in Vancouver), and I would be driving to Seattle Monday morning and driving back to Vancouver on Thursday Evening. I have nexus so border crossing wont be a lot of pain. I will also be renting a small studio apartment in Seattle to crash Monday to Thursday.

The reason I would be doing this is I am not yet ready to move my family to Seattle(kids are set in good daycares, and in a good neighborhood) and we are literally 4 months away from our citizenship eligibility.

What I am not sure is if
1. Would I have to give up my BC driving license and get a Washington state driving license. Technically I would still be a Vancouver resident.
2. Do I need to register my car in Washington state or can keep traveling back and forth while keeping my BC license plate.

has anyone done this before. If yes, could you share your experience.
1. No. Double check with your insurance provider to make sure that you are covered with out of country driving.
2. No. You are find to drive in WA with BC license plate.