+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Civil Service in Canada

andabodi

May 19, 2021
Hi everyone!

I was wondering can anyone give me a bit of the picture of how is it to work in governmental jobs in Canada? Also what are the Annual Leave allowances for vacations? I found somewhere online that it would be 3 weeks though on every official website states 2 weeks. This bit sounds surprising for me as being in the same position in the UK we get 5 weeks to start with and increases with a day for every year of service with a 30 day cap.
If someone has a direct or indirect experience with this, I would really appreciate your input!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Annual leave is different country to country.
One country isn’t going to give in vacation and or benefits another country gives .
Annual leave for a Government employee is typically dictated by the union that represents that group . There’s numerous groups/sub groups, departments and there’s numerous unions .
You’d have to see what the job classification is, then see what union represents that group . But typically it would be the same vacation allotment across the board .
You’d also have to check to see if the position is determinate or indeterminate. One being contract based versus one with no end date, aka permanent. Depends upon classification .
When I worked at the Government, you had to work five years to convert to permanent. So that means you are offered a “ contract “ to work for the period . I remember reading they recently changed that to three years . But as mentioned it depends upon the job. A person I worked with applied for a different position . That position she automatically converted to indeterminate.
Pay wise it’s dictated by the contract . The date you’ll get a increase, benefits etc .
You can find the contracts online . Search the union representing the department/group . It’ll show everything.
It’s accessible to the public. The big union is PSAC
There is talk about a DRAP. Deficit Reduction Action Plan. Could be a rumour, could be true I don’t know . Years ago when the Government in power wanted to reduce staff ( due to the deficit)they cut drastically . Determinate, temporary, contract first , the indeterminate. So permanent doesn’t always mean “ permanent “
As for the work environment. It’s the same as in the private sector . You can get crazy co-workers, or sane ones. A good team or a bad team . Proficient management or well, the opposite. It’s a potpourri
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1266312

Last edited:
Reactions: andabodi

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It depends on the government department or agency but most positions start at two or three weeks for the first one or two years. As stated above, if in an unionized position like CUPE, the contract will state vacation leave.

Reactions: YVR123 and andabodi

andabodi

May 19, 2021
Annual leave is different country to country.
One country isn’t going to give in vacation and or benefits another country gives .
Annual leave for a Government employee is typically dictated by the union that represents that group . There’s numerous groups/sub groups, departments and there’s numerous unions .
You’d have to see what the job classification is, then see what union represents that group . But typically it would be the same vacation allotment across the board .
You’d also have to check to see if the position is determinate or indeterminate. One being contract based versus one with no end date, aka permanent. Depends upon classification .
When I worked at the Government, you had to work five years to convert to permanent. So that means you are offered a “ contract “ to work for the period . I remember reading they recently changed that to three years . But as mentioned it depends upon the job. A person I worked with applied for a different position . That position she automatically converted to indeterminate.
Pay wise it’s dictated by the contract . The date you’ll get a increase, benefits etc .
You can find the contracts online . Search the union representing the department/group . It’ll show everything.
It’s accessible to the public. The big union is PSAC
There is talk about a DRAP. Deficit Reduction Action Plan. Could be a rumour, could be true I don’t know . Years ago when the Government in power wanted to reduce staff ( due to the deficit)they cut drastically . Determinate, temporary, contract first , the indeterminate. So permanent doesn’t always mean “ permanent “
As for the work environment. It’s the same as in the private sector . You can get crazy co-workers, or sane ones. A good team or a bad team . Proficient management or well, the opposite. It’s a potpourri
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1266312
Thank you Copyngwithlife! I did look at the clauses for employment on the Union’s site fir CRA. On paper it might sound differently than it feels in real life. I am saying as it sounds a bit restrictive. But yes, vacation is 3 weeks. So is Sick leave with pay. I willopen a different thread on life-work balance, as to how this feels to people in Canada. I would appreciate your opinion over there as well.
Thank you again!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am in private company and yes it's very common to start with 2 weeks vacation plus public holidays. Mine only has 7 days a year as sick leaves. (I need to use vacation when I get more than 1 bad flu/cold cos 7 days doesn't really cut it)

North Americans don't get as many vaction days and not like Europeans that enjoy their summer vacations for weeks. It's just not here.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you Copyngwithlife! I did look at the clauses for employment on the Union’s site fir CRA. On paper it might sound differently than it feels in real life. I am saying as it sounds a bit restrictive. But yes, vacation is 3 weeks. So is Sick leave with pay. I willopen a different thread on life-work balance, as to how this feels to people in Canada. I would appreciate your opinion over there as well.
Thank you again!
I’ll have a look. Sick leave is earned and then banked . You pull it out as you use it .
All your credits are in bank .
Dependant on the department, the Feds are pretty flexible for things .
You can take a year off , of course with no pay . But your job is secure upon your return . I had to help with my fathers appointments, help him after his hip replacement while he was at home . So it helps older individuals get out of the hospital to recuperate at home ( when possible), and that frees up a bed for individuals who need it.
I’ve never felt it as being restrictive. Maybe vacation wise it’s a bit less generous sometimes compared to the private sector . I used to work for an airline. I had seven weeks of vacation, but that was after DECADES of employment

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

I was wondering can anyone give me a bit of the picture of how is it to work in governmental jobs in Canada? Also what are the Annual Leave allowances for vacations? I found somewhere online that it would be 3 weeks though on every official website states 2 weeks. This bit sounds surprising for me as being in the same position in the UK we get 5 weeks to start with and increases with a day for every year of service with a 30 day cap.
If someone has a direct or indirect experience with this, I would really appreciate your input!
UK / European vacation policies are more generous than those in Canada. Regardless of what industry you work in or who your employer is, you should generally be expecting a drop in your vacation time if you make a move from the UK to Canada. Three weeks is a reasonable assumption. Also reasonable to assume that three weeks will be slow to increase.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What department, agency, or crown corp have you been hired by? Again it all depends as some are unionized positions like CUPE and some are not. Agencies will have different vacation/sick days than unionized government department positions. Agree that most postions start at three weeks but to increase to 4 weeks, you need to be in the position 5+ years.

andabodi

May 19, 2021
I am in private company and yes it's very common to start with 2 weeks vacation plus public holidays. Mine only has 7 days a year as sick leaves. (I need to use vacation when I get more than 1 bad flu/cold cos 7 days doesn't really cut it)

North Americans don't get as many vaction days and not like Europeans that enjoy their summer vacations for weeks. It's just not here.
Hi YVR123

I wonder why this is?? I believe people deserve much more considerate employers governmental or not , towards their work life balance! I read that in cuvil service Canada vacation goes up only after 6 years of service to over 3 weeks.
My dilemma is, you’ve got so much to explore over there but absolutely no time to explore it!
Our terms and conditions give us 2 months sick leave from the first year. Then ads one moths for years after... I think the cap is 5 mo.
By the 6 th year of service we’ve got 30 days/6 weeks vacation leave.
I would also like to mention Flexi Time which is contractual. We are allowedfrom this June to go into 7 days deficit which we can make up ina 13 weeks period.
That is practically a vacation week which you can move around a year as you wish.
So how do Canadians feel about Work-Life balance I would like to hear from you ?
And why are these big discrepancies do you think?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi YVR123

I wonder why this is?? I believe people deserve much more considerate employers governmental or not , towards their work life balance! I read that in cuvil service Canada vacation goes up only after 6 years of service to over 3 weeks.
My dilemma is, you’ve got so much to explore over there but absolutely no time to explore it!
Our terms and conditions give us 2 months sick leave from the first year. Then ads one moths for years after... I think the cap is 5 mo.
By the 6 th year of service we’ve got 30 days/6 weeks vacation leave.
I would also like to mention Flexi Time which is contractual. We are allowedfrom this June to go into 7 days deficit which we can make up ina 13 weeks period.
That is practically a vacation week which you can move around a year as you wish.
So how do Canadians feel about Work-Life balance I would like to hear from you ?
And why are these big discrepancies do you think?
The US has even less holiday time and time off in general. Canada is better than the US but not as generous as Europe so within North America our leave time seems generous. Although @Copingwithlife has had a positive experience with a team that has been supportive of time off to care for a loved one that is definitely not always the case. If you move to Canada you will have to anticipate that you will get significantly less time off and it is pretty common for people to actually not take their full holiday time or still be in contact with their office while on holidays. Travel is not as easy in Canada. Exploring Canada is not possible like exploring Europe. You can’t even head to another province for the weekend in many locations. Taking a sabbatical is only possible in senior and more professional positions. Some employers will allow unpaid time off while others take time off between job changes. In general government permanent jobs tend to be more generous with time off than most private companies expect higher level employees although most senior employees don’t take their full leave. Think Canadian employers will become more flexible about your ability to work from various locations if possible. Think Europe will feel the pressure to become more flexible with their labour laws to remain competitive.