+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I answer for Q16 in the PR Travel Document?

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
So Q16 in the PR Travel Document asks the following.

Have you accompanied a Canadian citizen or permanent resident while outside Canada?

What should my answer be ?

My parents and I became permanent residents when I was a child (around 15 years ago), but we stayed there for few months and left. Clearly, none of us has satisfied the residency obligation, but some people say we are still permanent residents since we didn't relinquish our status.

So for Question 16, should I write "yes" that I am accompanying permanent residents who are my parents, or should I write "no."

The travel document is found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5524E.PDF

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
Thank you for your reply, I knew the answer must be no but I am scared of misrepresentation.
I wish the question was more explicit, or at least refers to the immigration law stating that I should show proof that the parent has met the residency obligation, which obviously I don't have.
I wouldn't have wasted half a day thinking what to answer if the question was written as, Have you accompanied a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (who has met his/her residency obligation) while outside Canada?

Thanks.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Q16 is in relation to allowable exceptions when accompanying:

1. a Canadian Citizen or

2. a Permanent Resident who themselves meets the RO by way of an allowable exception.

So No is the correct response.

3. You still retain PR status until you come to the attention of immigration (CIC) or border control (CBSA) - they may decide to report you which starts the legal process for you to lose PR status. I suggest you read the forum on how you can risk a return to Canada direct or via the US (land border) depending on what passport you carry.

If not reported you just need to stay put in Canada for 730 days and your RO is back on track. For some reason this staying put seems to be a real problem for many PRs who risk the return only to almost immediately go back home to deal with some 'important stuff' that made them breach the RO in the first place.

Check also those threads for who applied under the 'I was removed as a minor' and successfully got their PRTDs. You may qualify depending on your age today.