+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Need Advice on Student Visa Expiry and Spouse's Status

Hooako

Dec 6, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're well. I recently discovered a critical situation with my student visa and could really use your advice, as I was not aware of some key details.

My student visa is set to expire on December 31, 2023, and I've just learned that it ideally should have extended until March 2024 for a smoother transition. Unfortunately, due to my study permit expiring on December 31, 2023, it seems I may not have that extra time. Luckily, I did renew my passport a few months ago, but time is not enough to apply for extension of our permits, especially with my graduation on December 20, 2023.

I'm planning to request my transcripts and apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) before my study permit expires. If this approach isn't feasible due to the sort time window, I'd really appreciate any insights into alternative options.

Also, my primary concern is my spouse's Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP), expiring on December 31. I'm uncertain about the steps to extend her legal stay and later reapply once I have the PGWP.

Any advice or shared experiences would be invaluable to me right now.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: