+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Understanding Canadian Work Experience Eligibility: Express Entry Inquiry

rockersfive6

Apr 11, 2024
Hi everyone,

I am confused about a particular situation regarding my Canadian work experience, and I'm hoping to get some clarity from the community.

Here's the scenario: I am currently on a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and employed full-time by a Canadian employer. Recently, due to personal or family reasons, I needed to spend three months outside Canada. However, my company allows remote work, so I continued to work during this time.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. I've been informed that although my work experience while outside Canada is considered valid for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, it may not be recognized under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). This leaves me with a dilemma when creating my Express Entry profile.

So, my question to the community is: How can I accurately reflect this situation in my Express Entry profile? I want to ensure that my eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program is acknowledged, even if it may not be applicable to the CEC.

Your insights and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I am confused about a particular situation regarding my Canadian work experience, and I'm hoping to get some clarity from the community.

Here's the scenario: I am currently on a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and employed full-time by a Canadian employer. Recently, due to personal or family reasons, I needed to spend three months outside Canada. However, my company allows remote work, so I continued to work during this time.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. I've been informed that although my work experience while outside Canada is considered valid for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, it may not be recognized under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). This leaves me with a dilemma when creating my Express Entry profile.

So, my question to the community is: How can I accurately reflect this situation in my Express Entry profile? I want to ensure that my eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program is acknowledged, even if it may not be applicable to the CEC.

Your insights and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
You need to break out your work experience into separate lines. Show the 3 months outside of Canada as foreign work experience. This cannot be considered toward CEC.

rockersfive6

Apr 11, 2024
You need to break out your work experience into separate lines. Show the 3 months outside of Canada as foreign work experience. This cannot be considered toward CEC.
I understand and completely agree with the steps mentioned however there is no option to break it in three steps essentially because here are the questions from the Express Entry profile creation process that complicate matters:

1. Do you have any work history?
    • Answer: Yes
  2. Since? (Start date in YYMM format)
    • Answer: [Input start date]
  3. To / Is this your current job?
    • Answer: Current job
  4. Hours per week?
    • Answer: 37.5
  5. Five-digit NOC Code?
    • Answer: [Input NOC code]
  6. Job Title?
    • Answer: [Input job title]
  7. Company name?
    • Answer: [Input company name]
  8. Country?
    • Answer: Canada
  9. City/Town?
    • Answer: [Input company city]
  10. Province?
    • Answer: [Input company province]
  11. Postal Code?
    • Answer: [Input company postal code]
  12. Do any of the following conditions apply: Working legally in Canada during this time? A person must have:
    been working on a valid work permit or exempt from needing one, had legal status the whole time they were in Canada, and not stayed longer than the approved time period.
  13. Studying full-time while doing this job?
    • Answer: No
  14. Which of these categories does this job fall under?
    • Answer: Work permit required, no LMIA required
Given these questions, you can see that the structure of the form doesn't easily allow for distinguishing between work experiences within and outside Canada. The requirement to indicate legal work status in Canada further complicates matters.

So, with these constraints in mind, I'm unsure how to accurately reflect my situation in my Express Entry profile. Any insights or advice from those familiar with the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand and completely agree with the steps mentioned however there is no option to break it in three steps essentially because here are the questions from the Express Entry profile creation process that complicate matters:

1. Do you have any work history?
  2. Since? (Start date in YYMM format)
    • Answer: [Input start date]
  3. To / Is this your current job?
    • Answer: Current job
  4. Hours per week?
    • Answer: 37.5
  5. Five-digit NOC Code?
    • Answer: [Input NOC code]
  6. Job Title?
    • Answer: [Input job title]
  7. Company name?
    • Answer: [Input company name]
  8. Country?
    • Answer: Canada
  9. City/Town?
    • Answer: [Input company city]
  10. Province?
    • Answer: [Input company province]
  11. Postal Code?
    • Answer: [Input company postal code]
  12. Do any of the following conditions apply: Working legally in Canada during this time? A person must have:
    been working on a valid work permit or exempt from needing one, had legal status the whole time they were in Canada, and not stayed longer than the approved time period.
  13. Studying full-time while doing this job?
    • Answer: No
  14. Which of these categories does this job fall under?
    • Answer: Work permit required, no LMIA required
Given these questions, you can see that the structure of the form doesn't easily allow for distinguishing between work experiences within and outside Canada. The requirement to indicate legal work status in Canada further complicates matters.

So, with these constraints in mind, I'm unsure how to accurately reflect my situation in my Express Entry profile. Any insights or advice from those familiar with the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance!
It's very simple.

You split your current job into 3.

#1 - In Canada from date to date
#2 - Outside of Canada from date to date (the 3 months)
#3 - In Canada from date to current

rockersfive6

Apr 11, 2024
#2 - Outside of Canada from date to date (the 3 months)
For this what do they want me to enter in the below fields like this?
  1. Country?
    • Answer: My country of visit
  2. City/Town?
    • Answer: My city of residence
  3. Postal Code?
    • Answer: postal code of that area